NPD HX FX content and some signal path advice please!

LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited February 2019 in Guitar
Thanks to the very lovely @thecolourbox aka Matt aka Nid (Thanks to autocorrect!), I'm pleased as punch to be spending my Saturday creating patches and snapshots and pumping out some glorious noises on my Bassbreaker! 

I do have one question though. 

I'm aware that it has a very good looper built in, but I regularly use my Trio+ as a looper, even for live stuff, not necessarily for the drums and bass, but more for the 5 different song parts. If I do use drums and bass, they go out to my PA separately using the mixer out, so they don't colour my amp.

I was thinking of just putting the trio between the HX and the amp, rather than putting it in one of the loops of the HX or in the amp's loop. This means it will still go through the preamp and sound right but will mean I can only send it to one amp. I'm messing around with a stereo amp setup and having the loops only go to one amp will sound weird.

Given that the amp, the trio+ and the HX all have effects loops, there must be a clever way of doing this that means the sound from my amp gets to the Trio but then I can change effects without changing the loop and I can send the loops to both amps, or use the expression pedal to pan it to exactly where I want it.

I'm currently running the HX straight in, but I could use 4cm or even 7cm for a stereo setup although both are a ball ache that I'll rarely want to faff with. 

Any ideas? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    I would use the first fx loop in the HX FX to send your guitar signal to the Trio and receive the GTR signal back. I would use the second loop as a return only and feed it with the Drum/Bass signal.

You could look at placing that return block on a parallel path at the end of the signal chain and assigning a pan block after it to pan the backing tracks between the amps. 
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • What's the expression pedal you're using there? Is it the M Audio one by any chance?
  • What's the expression pedal you're using there? Is it the M Audio one by any chance?
    I believe so mate. It's the one he sent me with it :) 

• PFAllen2 said:
    I would use the first fx loop in the HX FX to send your guitar signal to the Trio and receive the GTR signal back. I would use the second loop as a return only and feed it with the Drum/Bass signal.

You could look at placing that return block on a parallel path at the end of the signal chain and assigning a pan block after it to pan the backing tracks between the amps. 
    Yeah that makes sense. 

I wouldn't need to bother with the drum and bass return though, as that can go straight from the "mixer out" of the Trio to the desk. 

Thanks, I'll give that a try 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9816
    edited February 2019
    Enjoy the pedal good sir, hope you get on well with it. I'm not really able to help with the above as it was all too much for my tiny brain, but when I was working out routing options on here and a switcher I was using instead when I gave up on the HX, I find it was best to draw it out on paper as it was much more intuitive than knob fiddling. I imagine the HX Edit functions of the fuller fat Helix models would help in the same way.

The expression pedal is indeed the cheap MAudio one off Amazon - it's plastic, it's not pretty, but it works. I didnt want to buy an expensive one then have to sell it when I realised the HX wasnt for me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic