Pedal tuners!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Pitch black here, it... Er...

Works.

No buffer, but I have a couple of others on my board so not needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    edited April 2014
    Used my Polytune Mini live for the first time yesterday in church.  It was fine.  The small size definitely helps on a pedalboard.

There was nothing wrong with my old TU3 but I was a bit short on space.  I don't need the buffer on it anymore as I built a Cornish buffer clone.  I also used the tuner on my Line 6 M5 for a while, which was absolutely fine, but that has now come off the board hence the need for a separate tuner again.  If it wasn't so big and such a power hog I would have just left the M5 on the board.  I am tempted by the Zoom MS70 CDR.

On the subject of tuners in general, I'm not sure whether the high end ones are worth it.  When I'm playing I can hear sometimes when I fret a note too hard and pull it sharp.  As long as a tuner gets you in the right ballpark, then the differences in tension from slight variations in how hard you press are going to be bigger than any minor improvement in accuracy from an expensive tuner.  Even for intonation setting, how do you know whether the pressure you are applying to the fretted note on a workbench is the same as you would apply when playing for real, with all the adrenalin going around your system?  If it isn't the same pressure then you will set the intonation wrong anyway.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Had two pitch blacks both of which had issues with ie needed fixing. Also had the digitech one which was fine, can't remember why I sold it tbh. Been using an old tu3 for the last year does the job perfectly.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    polytune mini now. Also had a polytune and a pitchblack. I lied the pitchblack until I did an outdoor gig last summer. In the sunshine the led display was completely invisible and useless.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I use the Polytune. The display is clear and bright and playing at church I find that the polyphonic function is really helpful,
  • tbmtbm Frets: 582
    I have two TU2s and a Korg Pitchblack Poly. They're fine.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27135
    TimmyO said:

The DT-10 is clear, solid, not twitchy, and has a decent buffer - actually if space were not a factor I'd have gone back to one 

On a mini-board the Polytune Mini is fab. 
    Agree entirely with this. I have the PT Mini purely because my old DT10 was too damn big. The regular PT gets a vote from me too- the polyphonic is brilliant for checking everything in a 2-bar break mid-song when you can hear something is slightly out.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires