NGD Gillett Contour 6 in Rocklite Sundari

What's Hot
Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
edited February 2019 in Guitar
Those of you who follow the Making & Modding threads will know that I have been building guitars and basses for myself and my band mates for a few years.  

As such, I don't buy guitars.  Haven't bought a guitar for over 6 years.  And I've just bought one.  And it's probably the most expensive guitar I've EVER bought.  And I'm delighted with it

It's special in a number of ways.  but first of all, what is it and what does it look like:

I'll post the spec and the special things shortly!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Some amazing workmanship to create that design. Never seen or heard of one before.
    Please tell us more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Wonky said:
    Some amazing workmanship to create that design. Never seen or heard of one before.
    Please tell us more
    Don’t encourage him! He will spend too much time playing it and not enough time building stuff we can ogle on here...

;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, it looks like an acoustic, but actually it really needs to be plugged in.  It's a hybrid.  But it's like no other hybrid I've owned or played before.
    And it is the first full 'top, back, sides and fretboard' made in the new man-made substitute for Indian Rosewood, Rocklite Sundari.

Other bits of spec:
    -  25.5" scale
    - 12" fretboard radius
    - maple neck
    - maple and walnut heel assembly
    - top back sides Rocklite Sundari sheet material
    - fretboard Rocklite Sundari
    - walnut back and top carved relief blocks
    - Humbucker @bridge ; Single coils @ neck (I think they are both Bareknuckle) with 3-way switch, vol and tone
    - Double bridge piezo with vol and tone/depth boost
    - Custom EQ /blend circuit
    -  5lbs 14oz

And the design...well, the internals are like nothing I've ever come across before.  There are a number of patented design features but the main thing that is COMPLETELY different to any other guitar make I've come across (but is in common with Gillett Guitars high-end hybrid basses) is that the bridge sits on an internal framework, not on the body - think F1 racing car where the engine is fixed to the rigid space frame and the body panels are then attached to that...

And it's string-through...yes, a string through acoustic.  

I just had to have one!
  • Now - it looks like an acoustic.  But just watch this video of Ben Fletcher playing the prototype!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yeah, see I’d have a fretless bass version of that...
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Oh yeah, strings through body! Amazing bit of kit that.
    Nice to see something different and that really is.
  • Very nice guitar for sure. 

It's a bit odd to see a guitar that shares it's name with a razor though... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The best guitar a man can get?