Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Insects

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    roberty said:

The thing is, if a part of the food chain dies so does everything else above it
    Surely they can just go the the chippy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    One tying is certain  - the bastard wasps in my loft with their hi rise cocoony nest will not see the spring...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Literally. I will be 6ft under. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    A few years ago they were saying that in the future we might all be eating insects as a source of protein.  Now we hear they're going to be extinct.

That seems like a pretty dramatic turnaround.  What the fuck happened?
    Climate change and neonicotinoid pesticides.
    Yes, but they're not brand new phenomena.  Only five years ago there were many articles like this:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141014-time-to-put-bugs-on-the-menu

Eating insects would help with planetary biodiversity if done right, reduce meat and dairy consumption and thus would actually help preserve insects. 

• What about spiders? They can do one as far as I'm concerned. Anything with 8 legs and 8 eyes is an abomination and the work of the Devil

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What about spiders? They can do one as far as I'm concerned. Anything with 8 legs and 8 eyes is an abomination and the work of the Devil
    They're not insects... but many of them eat all sorts of insects, so fewer insects fewer spiders... then fewer birds, voles and mice... then fewer foxes, birds of prey etc...

Oh, and mass starvation for humans as pollination is largely by insects.

But, yes, fewer spiders.
  • Myranda said:
    What about spiders? They can do one as far as I'm concerned. Anything with 8 legs and 8 eyes is an abomination and the work of the Devil
    They're not insects... but many of them eat all sorts of insects, so fewer insects fewer spiders... then fewer birds, voles and mice... then fewer foxes, birds of prey etc...

Oh, and mass starvation for humans as pollination is largely by insects.

But, yes, fewer spiders.

That's good then. I'll be dead in 100 years, so will my kids so not fussed about what happens to humans after that, or insects, or spiders.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    A few years ago they were saying that in the future we might all be eating insects as a source of protein.  Now we hear they're going to be extinct.

That seems like a pretty dramatic turnaround.  What the fuck happened?
    Climate change and neonicotinoid pesticides.
    Yes, but they're not brand new phenomena.  Only five years ago there were many articles like this:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141014-time-to-put-bugs-on-the-menu

Eating insects would help with planetary biodiversity if done right, reduce meat and dairy consumption and thus would actually help preserve insects. 

And farmed insects could even be in-doors with a controlled climate and with no pesticides so wouldn't contradict the two concepts of both a massive drop in biodiversity and increased consumption of insects (not so fond of that idea... but bugs make the same volume of nutrition long before a cow does, so I guess it's the future, but I'll hold onto bacon as long as I can).

Sometimes A being true doesn't mean the B must be false
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom