This Time with Alan Partridge teaser

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22877
    The bit about handwashing and the interview at the end were OK.  All the scenes on the sofa felt more strained than they were supposed to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Not bad, not a classic on first watch, but some funny moments.  On first watch you really can't tell what might stick and end up in the nations lexicon.

I'd like to see a bit away from the studio, hopefully it's not all in front of the camera.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    One to avoid for me, can't abide Partridge....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    I thought it was OK, first time back on TV he IS trying too hard. That was kinda the point I think.  To me a poor AP show is still infinitely more funny than 99% of what's on TV nowadays anyway so I'll keep watching. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2019
    no, was rather clumsy and unbelievable (even for him) that he would overtake the direction that would have previously only be tolerated from being 'the 'star' back in his earlier day.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I don't find AP funny so I won't be watching. Mind you I don't watch much regular TV anyway.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    The bits with Sidekick Simon trying to work the Digiwall and trying to get a 'that's right' out of that Ruth woman were fucking hilarious. I think it being a different setting made for a new and unfamiliar experience as I think AP is best when conversing to other people rather than alongside them. His facial expressions are still second to none.

I have noticed ever since the mid 2000s or thereabouts that he does have an annoying tendency to over-exaggerate his silly pronunciation of words. However it's only the first episode. Still lots more to come.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I loved him in the hotel and the campervan and I enjoyed the movie too. Not so much the talkshow and I didn't see it last night
    edited February 2019
    Dopesick said:
    I have noticed ever since the mid 2000s or thereabouts that he does have an annoying tendency to over-exaggerate his silly pronunciation of words. However it's only the first episode. Still lots more to come.
    That's the character of Alan Partridge doing his presenter voice.  Coogan explains that Partridge the character wants to be better than he is, but doesn't know what that looks like.  I think this is a manifestation of that; also his nasty competitive streak
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    I thought it was pretty good. Not quite up there with the best AP, but worthwhile. The Clunt/Fluck mixup was a highlight for me.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Disappointing!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11764
    Sesh said:
    I thought it was pretty good. Not quite up there with the best AP, but worthwhile. The Clunt/Fluck mixup was a highlight for me.
    Agreed on both points.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader

Yeah I was a bit disappointed at first.. But I think by the end of it I was enjoying it more...

HATED the sidekick Simon bits.. Very obvious..

For me the two bits I like the best was the demonstration of how go to the toilet without touching anything..  And the woman he was talking to who he spilled shandy over at a party who now hates him and refuses to agree with anything he says.

Sesh said:
    Agreed on both points.
    The Fluck/Clunt joke is apparently ancient and lifted from Diana Dors
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2766
    I thought the hacktivust interview was quite good, what with the emails , and then he turned it back on him with the mask.  
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Pathos?
  • I recently went to see the Stan & Ollie film at my son’s insistence. I had pretty much zero interest in the subject matter - but Coogan was exceptional in it - a really affecting piece of cinema. A classic example of a story being captivating when told well enough.

First impressions of last night’s episode weren’t great - reminiscent of Knowing Me Knowing You - the format is potentially too restrictive to get into the character of him as fully as the subsequent series allowed. 

I’ll persevere with it. My guess is that his rivalry with co-presenter will get more intense and ugly as it progresses. 
  • I am disappoint. As Richard says, very reminiscent of Knowing Me, Knowing You - which when I think of it is not vintage Partridge for me. He’s funniest when trying to cope with life, in a Travelodge doing local radio or whatever. It’s finely observed though so I’ll keep watching. What struck me most was Lynn’s Machiavellian manipulation!