Punk mini board?

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
Probably having pedals isn't very punk but there ya go. 

Despite having hardly picked up a guitar since July I might do some gigs with a punk covers band - Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks type stuff. I don't know if that's really me but it's some chords not a lifestyle choice. 
Whilst I don't have a huge pedalboard I definitely have some pedals and they are a bit of a safety blanket. I have a PSU and a small board with nothing on it so I'm thinking of putting something together.

So, definitely tuner. Got 

Probably delay - need that for The Clash I think. Use my Carbon Copy. 

Do I need reverb? I have a spring reverb style pedal although I've tended to be anti reverb live. 

Distortion probably just from the amp. 

What's the classic punk modulation? Phaser? Flanger? For example on Never Fallen in Love there's some modulation going on in the middle. Currently I only have phase or flange within a multi FX although I do have a chorus pedal. 

I'm not sure fuzz was a punk thing? 

What sounds does the modern ageing punk require? 

Ta. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have the big muff and fux fuzz, I find the fux is more versatile, you shouldn't need more than that really (and it's cheap) 
  • Even if you don't use it live, it's really fun
  • I have the big muff and fux fuzz, I find the fux is more versatile, you shouldn't need more than that really (and it's cheap) 
    I do have a fuzz I could use, just not quite sure what I'd need a fuzz for rather than distortion from the amp? What punk was fuzz? If you see what I mean :smile: 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    what amp you using?
  • sgosden said:
    what amp you using?
    Will be my Laney Lionheart ( ok, not very punk) although my ( even older) LC50 should still be working and that might be more appropriate ( louder, beaten up looking).  

I quite fancy an excuse to spend £100 on a pedal but that's about the level of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited February 2019
    Ever Fallen In Love uses a phaser/flanger. Anarchy in the UK uses an MXR Phase 45. I'd go with a phaser. Delay or chorus are a bit too arty. Tremolo would work though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Ever Fallen In Love uses a phaser/flanger. Anarchy in the UK uses an MXR Phase 45. I'd go with a phaser. Delay or chorus are a bit too arty. Tremolo would work though.
    This may all be an elaborate ruse to buy an MXR Phase 95! Probably see if I can pick up a bargain at the Birmingham Guitar Show. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72402
    Distortion+, Phase 90, Carbon Copy, maybe a Micro Amp - all MXR just like back in the day.

That’s all you should need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Distortion+, Phase 90, Carbon Copy, maybe a Micro Amp - all MXR just like back in the day.

I used to own a Distortion+ , would have been perfect. IIRC possibly the least versatile pedal I've ever used but the one thing it did it did well. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    First thing, ditch the tuner.
     =) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    ICBM said:

I used to own a Distortion+ , would have been perfect. IIRC possibly the least versatile pedal I've ever used but the one thing it did it did well. 
    I've often heard it described as not versatile which I don't understand. It does overdrive, distortion and a muffy fuzz. At least the original one does. The new ones don't do anything useful.
  • Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:

I've often heard it described as not versatile which I don't understand. It does overdrive, distortion and a muffy fuzz. At least the original one does. The new ones don't do anything useful.
    I guess mine was fairly recent. About 2/3rds of the volume knob range was below unity and the Distortion was off,off,off,kerunch, slightly more kerunch. It sounded right so I don't think it was faulty but the useable range on both knobs was tiny. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I'd be tempted to get something a bit nasty like a rat to get the distortion a bit meaner.

If you do greenday type modern punk you might want an eq so you can do the down a phone line thing.

Flanger is probably the only other thing you might need.
  • There's a phaser or chorus all over Never Mind the Bollocks
  • Watch PGS Andy's demo of the MXR Phase 45, it nails the Nevermind The Bollocks effected guitar sound.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • From the days before Andy had a face :expressionless: