Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ES 335, 339, 330, 336 advice

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• This is what you want - right in between the 335 and 339 size wise and far superior in build quality sound and playability - IMH(and biased)O 
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148687/fs-collings-i35lc-cherry-burst-montys-pafs-immaculate-2950-ppg#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    So much love for the ES 339 and there is one going begging here....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147071/fs-epiphone-es339-dot-vs-2014-275-delivered#latest

Make me an offer  ;)
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Thanks but it is defintely a 335 I want after playing a few. The plan is to get an Epi dot and play for a while and gig. If I get on well with it I will look for a Gibson. 
    • Onpar said:
      Thanks but it is defintely a 335 I want after playing a few. The plan is to get an Epi dot and play for a while and gig. If I get on well with it I will look for a Gibson. 
      An Epi dot? Dude, the plastic wrap is still on the the pickups of my Tokai. You two were made for each other ...

I already paid for the dot. How come you are selling?? 
  • Onpar said:
    I already paid for the dot. How come you are selling?? 
    Because I have set my sights on a headless Holdsworth and everything must go to pay for one. I have a speaker cabinet with no speaker, because the speaker has been sold. I just shipped off 13 J.G. Ballard first editions to a dealer who I hope is going to swell my new guitar fund, I have warned my wife that she is next and should keep a suitcase ready ....  Nothing against the Tokai - it's a fine guitar, but when GAS strikes, a man is in the grip of a higher power.
    I finally got the dot! Just need to upgrade the pickups now. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Onpar said:
    Uh oh, here we go. Just the pickups. Then the tuners and the harness and the bridge and the tailpiece and the........   Should have bought the Gibson ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Jimbro66 said:
    Onpar said:
    Uh oh, here we go. Just the pickups. Then the tuners and the harness and the bridge and the tailpiece and the........   Should have bought the Gibson ;)

I wouldn't fancy doing it on a semi hollow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    roberty said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Onpar said:

I wouldn't fancy doing it on a semi hollow
    Pickups on a semi is the one piece of guitar electronics I would probably pay someone else to do for me!
    Thanks guys, I actually just started a new thread on this. I DO need advice on what to buy to improve the sound. I totally understand the guitar will never sound like a Gibson but I am sure there is room for improvement. I actually preferred the playability of the dot (I know this sounds crazy) and it was £2k+ less than the Gibson. I spend a LOT of money on very expensive guitars £2-£3k and decided to give the approach a try for one. I would pay a tech to do the work.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Onpar said:
    I am gassing for an ES style guitar and am a bit confused about which route to take. I prefer a light guitar so maybe the 339 would be the better option, I have a Les Paul but it's just too heavy and always wants to fall the right when seated. Thinking of buying an epi first to see if I gel with this style of guitar as I have never had a hollow body before. Any advice or thoughts on pros, cons of each would be much appreciated. 
    Just to put out a slightly different approach. I found this with many les pauls, but it is possible to find examples that don't do it. I've found those at or under 8lbs are much better balanced. These would be hard to find in a solid model, but relatively simple if you looked for a chambered one.

Not that this will help with any semi gas ;)