Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Dilema

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Apologies for what is rather an odd post.......

I am in the position where I have been left a quantity of money from a relative, exact amount unknown but sufficient to allow me to do what I suggest.

I wanted to buy a guitar that would remind me of them every time I picked it up. Now having got 2 Strats, a Tele, A Jagmaster and a Gretsch I was thinking about either a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster. I love surf music so I thought this would fill a hole in my "collection".

I know nothing about Jaguars of Jazzmasters so I'd thought I'd take a look in the local emporium.

I have narrowed it down to 2. The full blown £1500 Jaguar or the £400 Squier Jaguar.

This is the point where I need some sound advice.....

I'm not a talented player and never will be. Can I justify the extra £1100 on what effectively will be wasted on my (lack of) talent?

This purchase is about having something nice, not because I need it, but because I'm in a position that I can

Note: I don't want second hand of other makes, both good options but not in this case.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    What about a classic lacquer Mexican jag around £900 as a good quality mid point which will age well?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    Go full fat.You will derive more pleasure from playing it and are more likely to play it more often, which is the point of having it, especially if in effect money is no object. If there were a formula for total guitar expense against talent, most of us on here would be in deficit, I suspect......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    It doesn't matter that you're not a talented guitarist, if you've got the money to do it then go for it. Life is too short, fill it with nice things!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • If you have the money go for the USA Jag. When spending big money on a a good guitar it’s a good idea to try a few if possible. It might cost a bit more to buy from a real bricks and mortar shop but it’s better than the lottery of buying on line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    If I’d spent my money on guitars relative to my amount of talent I’d be playing a Chinese Strat copy.  ;). Go for what looks and feels right....personally I’d get the best I could afford. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITE said:

Apologies for what is rather an odd post.......

I am in the position where I have been left a quantity of money from a relative, exact amount unknown but sufficient to allow me to do what I suggest.

I wanted to buy a guitar that would remind me of them every time I picked it up. Now having got 2 Strats, a Tele, A Jagmaster and a Gretsch I was thinking about either a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster. I love surf music so I thought this would fill a hole in my "collection".

I know nothing about Jaguars of Jazzmasters so I'd thought I'd take a look in the local emporium.

I have narrowed it down to 2. The full blown £1500 Jaguar or the £400 Squier Jaguar.

This is the point where I need some sound advice.....

I'm not a talented player and never will be. Can I justify the extra £1100 on what effectively will be wasted on my (lack of) talent?

This purchase is about having something nice, not because I need it, but because I'm in a position that I can

Note: I don't want second hand of other makes, both good options but not in this case.

I can understand your dilemma but suspect your relative would like you to have the better guitar and equally I think in the longer term you will feel that you made the better decision. 

It will never be wasted as it sounds like you'll cherish the memories: )
  • In honour of your relative buy the full blown jaguar. everytime you pick it up to play you dont want to think that you cheaped out on them, but went for the best. (no disrespect to squiers which are fine guitars too)
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited February 2019
    I'm a godawful player but I vote full fat on this. As bad as I am, I derive pleasure from the noises I wring out of my guitars, and just because I'm rubbish doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good guitar over a not-so-good version.  Hence I have managed to get myself a couple of nice American guitars to admire, love & appreciate in addition to something cheaper that I can bash about a bit more. Love em all but it feels nice to get something you have aspired to rather than just settling, unless you have a genuine need to use the extra money elsewhere, which it sounds like you currently don't, fortunately. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm not a good player, but I never thought twice about getting guitars that were wasted on me! Have cash, buy what you like!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5775
    edited February 2019
    If you were looking for the most efficient tool to do the job, I’d say Squier all the way. They’re always impressive, perfectly gig worthy and solid instruments. 

But here, I’d definitely say get the Fender. It won’t give you as much on top of the Squier as you’ll pay but it will look and feel better and in this case, probably make you smile more
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    There is always another perspective. The guitars you already own, are they best spec/perfect/with emotionaly investment or might it be better to Upgrade/exchange one that you have and use rather than one you might just buy for a collection.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    There is always another perspective. The guitars you already own, are they best spec/perfect/with emotionaly investment or might it be better to Upgrade/exchange one that you have and use rather than one you might just buy for a collection.

This is in line with my thinking. Personally I'm more of a less is more kinda guy. I'd be tempted to get something really special but cut down elsewhere. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Thanks for all the replies.

The guitars I have I'm not too keen to get rid of. Yet.

In the past I have all too eagerly sold stuff when I have needed money to pay bills etc.

Now I'm more financially stable I don't need to sell any, and it is nice to use a variety.

• Spend the big bux on the the nicer one - if you dont I guarantee you will wish you had a month down the line
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    If it was me, and I had the money for the Usa made job. Thats what I'd get. 

N thats without it needing to be a sentimental item. 

As for skill level. Thats moot. 
    Look at all the Merc, Bmw, Audi drivers out there with expensive cars, that can't drive.... oops. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    I always have two or three cheap Chinese guitars around the place for gigging or recording, and every couple of years I end up giving them away. 

If you want something which means something to you buy the proper one.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9334
    If you get the squier , you’ll spend the rest of your life wondering if the fender was better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    What would your relative say?

"Ooh that's nice, I left some money and you bought something to remind you of me....
    ...I'm glad you went for the cheap one"
    ...I'm glad you bought a cracker for half the cost, that's m'boy"
    ...I'm glad you got something top of the line that you might not have done if it wasn't for me"
    etc...

If it were me, I would try to reflect the values of the relative I was remembering in some way. 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    I've had both (If you're talking about the American Original Jaguar), I actually had the Squier at the same time so I could compare.  Got rid of the Squier pretty sharpish shortly after American Original came in.

The Squier is great, but the American Original is different gravy.  It also saw off the more pricey Johnny Marr Jaguar, and is the best Jag I've owned for sure.

It's difficult circumstances you find yourself in, mark it with the special guitar.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    To the Squier v. Fender re-issue question, I say USA.

To the Surf music comments, I say that a Fender “offset” guitar is not essential. You can probably extract those sounds from your existing guitars, provided that you have a suitable amplifier.

Thus, my suggestion for how to spend a four figure sum on something musical that will see frequent use is to buy an amplifier.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom