Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

John Mayer using Fender on 2019 tour footage

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    When he's alone at night, in his bedroom, John lovingly picks up his Yamaha Pacifica 112 . "They'll never come between us", he whispers. "You're the only one for me."
    Not quite a Pacifica but I've seen him play an ibanez or something like that on one of his webcam videos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    I wonder what he uses in the studio?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotone said:
    I wonder what he uses in the studio?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2390
    edited February 2019
    AlexO said:
    Wasn't the reason he discontinued his Fender artist deal was due to them wanting him to only play Fenders exclusively as part of the deal but PRS said he could play any brand as long as he does Promotional activity abc and be seen playing said guitars and amps for so many songs a show etc.
    I thought it was to do with their inability to clone a neck and something to do with how the former head of the custom shop got fired

Not at all Fender was let Eldred go early 2014 before the whole neck warp incident and subsequent failure to make a passable clone by John Cruz.Mayer and Eldred are friends, he played on Eldreds 2016 solo record.
    How could they make him a specific signature guitar if they couldn't even get a neck in the ballpark? Guys like Mayer and alot of pro players too for that matter are very exacting in their specs. More so than a lot would of them like you to think. 
    To be fair, just rewatching this video and some of Mr Cruz's comments I can see why he went to PRS......

https://youtu.be/luCzeNjs7rE

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    Not to rehash these old rumours too much but there was also the story that Mayer wanted his entire own brand-within-a-brand - ie, 'JM'-named/logoed stuff, or something like it. When Fender refused to go that far for him he walked out of spite more than anything else.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Strat54 said:

To be fair, just rewatching this video and some of Mr Cruz's comments I can see why he went to PRS......

And some folk Paul is a twat!
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    When he's alone at night, in his bedroom, John lovingly picks up his Yamaha Pacifica 112 . "They'll never come between us", he whispers. "You're the only one for me."
    +1, but then it's waaaaay better than mooching up to the other occupant. [/sighs]
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I actually prefer it when musicians use a variety of guitars. It seems more honest. When Alex Lifeson used a mix of PRS CE, Fender Telecaster and Les Paul/355, it seeemed he had better tones than when he went exclusively to Gibson. Stuff like the Grace Under Pressure era never sounded right on a Les Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Strat54 said:
    AlexO said:
    Wasn't the reason he discontinued his Fender artist deal was due to them wanting him to only play Fenders exclusively as part of the deal but PRS said he could play any brand as long as he does Promotional activity abc and be seen playing said guitars and amps for so many songs a show etc.
    I thought it was to do with their inability to clone a neck and something to do with how the former head of the custom shop got fired

Not at all Fender was let Eldred go early 2014 before the whole neck warp incident and subsequent failure to make a passable clone by John Cruz.Mayer and Eldred are friends, he played on Eldreds 2016 solo record.
    How could they make him a specific signature guitar if they couldn't even get a neck in the ballpark? Guys like Mayer and alot of pro players too for that matter are very exacting in their specs. More so than a lot would of them like you to think. 

He got so emotional watching Mayer play that Michael Jackson song that he almost remembered its name.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom