Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strat bridge pickup, not mad keen.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• westwest Frets: 996
    west said:
    axisus said:
    I'm very keen now on on the idea of a tapped pickup that is switched by the 5-way wiring. I think I'm gonna try that.
    I still have the pickup a TA Va1/2  if your interested and depending what your other 2 singles are ....  heres an explaination ... https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/tapping-into-versatility-with-a-tapped-single-coil

p.s ... the wiring diagram is in the box it wires to the 5 way noneedfor any other mods ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe wire position 5 to have the bridge and middle in series...
  • octatonic said:
    Put the bridge pickup on its own tone control and keep it permanently rolled off a little bit.
    This is what I do, and I have a superswitch on one of my Strats which disconnects the tone controls in positions 2 & 4 (I think this is the Landau mod?) so I don't have to roll the tone back up to get quack on the bridge and middle. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    It's expensive, but the Custom Shop Ancho Poblano set was basically designed with that power differential in mind, so they get hotter as you move from neck to bridge. 

My favourite Strat bridge pickup is the Pure Vintage 59 though. It's quite dark - remarkably so, IMO.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Actually, that's what I'd do if I hated the bridge only sound - have it for the bridge and neck sound to save having to bother with a additional switch.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Ancho Poblano bridge is the best I’ve personally played.

Irish Tour with plate also great.

Wouldn’t swap either for a humbucker.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    Baseplate and/or one of these - https://www.freewayswitch.com/

Look remains the same but you have more options. They're around £50

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I've had a Dimarzio Fast Track 1 in my Strat+ with the standard Lace Sensors and it worked well having just a but more poke but still retained a somewhat glassy sound and worked well with the mid sensor in position 2. I previously had a SD Little 59 in there but it just wasn't my bag, although my band mate really liked it, so much so he bought it off me.  
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    im not that keen on the bridge pup also.  Maybe you just need to find the right pedal that fattens it up to use it with.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Th4fonz said:
    im not that keen on the bridge pup also.  Maybe you just need to find the right pedal that fattens it up to use it with.
    Tube screamer and clones seem to work well.

I've never got why so many have a problem with tree bridge pup, I've always thought it was fine. Maybe the fat 50s is just a particularly good one.

As much as I say just use the others, I do totally get the OCD thing of wanting all positions usable. Kind of like how I'd consider turning a Tele in to an Esquire instead of just keeping it on the bridge setting.

I think the sane thing would be to just use the positions you like but then again, the people lucky enough to think that practically are probably too busy playing music to come to a forum in the first place.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    octatonic said:
    Put the bridge pickup on its own tone control and keep it permanently rolled off a little bit.
    This is what I do, and I have a superswitch on one of my Strats which disconnects the tone controls in positions 2 & 4 (I think this is the Landau mod?) so I don't have to roll the tone back up to get quack on the bridge and middle. 
    Me too. Works great
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    I used a Superswitch and a couple of capacitors. A capacitor wired in parallel with any coil (pickup) will change the resonant frequency. Traditional single coil Strat pickups have a very exaggerated treble response caused by their resonant peak being at around 5KHz. Humbuckers have their resonant peak somewhere around 2 KHz.

I wired a Superswitch so that Position 1 had around 1.2nF in parallel, gave a very beefy tone. I then wired position 2 for lower value of cap because 1.2 nF messed around with the sound of that position.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 855
    edited February 2019
    I’ve had the same issue for years. Been through a number of strats because of the frustration.
    Was discussing this with @CasperCaster who brought round one of his strats with no pickguard or pickups, but a connector block wired in and a box of pickups and a cut down guard.
    Started with the goal which was as close to my 52ri Tele bridge pickup as possible.
    Spent the night working through the pickups, in output order, making notes.
    There were two or three that stood out as being in the ballpark.
    I ended up buying a Dimarzio SDS1 from eBay and getting it wired in with a super switch that has position 3 changed to give neck & bridge together. This gives me the three ‘tele’ style selections, along with the 2 in between Strat positions.
    The SDS has loads of output on it’s own, but still mixes well with the others.
    I’d like to try the FS1 at some time as this wasn’t quite as hot as the SDS.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    A neat but unusual trick is to forget that its a strat and  put a 4 way switch and  wire like a 4 way tele with a trem even adding a base plate under teh bridge pickup .you get series and some ooomph to your sound .Lets  face  it darling few  people quack these days . =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried a few things but ended up leaving an SSL-5 in there on it's own tone control. Proper power and doesn't completely wreck the pos 4 quack. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• The bridge position may sound a bit treble-y on it's own, but it cuts through in the mix better.

I love neck position on a strat but in a dense mix it can sound a bit weedy and muddy.