Worth refinishing/respraying a Squier? Like putting flash alloys on a Ford Fiesta?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
edited February 2019 in Guitar
Nothing wrong with Ford Fiestas but you get what I mean.
I'm about to acquire a Deryck WHibley telecaster, with the intention of sticking a new pickup in it, and possibly some other minor mods.
There's a god awful red X on the body, and on the pickguard. There's painted on too / part of the finish.
This is the only thing turning me off the guitar!
Would it not be worth the money to ask someone to just paint over the big X. I guess that would require a respray which requires time and effort = £££ $$$ €€€
Is it ever worth respraying a Squier?!!
Other option is to try and get another body, but a single humbucker tele body would be hard to come by...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12398
    Depends how far you want to go.  I sanded the top of a squier standard, spray painted it surf green and sprayed poly over and it looked fine.  Had I had my time again I would have stripped all the original poly off and nitro'd it but you can go as simple or as complicated as you like.

You could always take the poly and paint off and wax it natural wood if it doesn't look awful under whats there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It would be simple. The guitar is only costing me €150. I don't have the skills to refinish, so would be paying someone to do it...
    It would be simple. The guitar is only costing me €150. I don't have the skills to refinish, so would be paying someone to do it...
    Depends on how perfect a finish, I sprayed mine with tin cans and made a cardboard 3 sided spray booth and did it in a garage with the door open wearing a mask.

https://i.imgur.com/reuIDya.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks pretty cool!
  • I’d just live with it if I didn’t feel up to doing it myself. I don’t think that it’s worth paying someone to refinish a cheap guitar .
  • I’d just live with it if I didn’t feel up to doing it myself. I don’t think that it’s worth paying someone to refinish a cheap guitar .
    very true
    I’d just live with it if I didn’t feel up to doing it myself. I don’t think that it’s worth paying someone to refinish a cheap guitar .
    very true
    Worst could happen is you strip it and wax it if you don't like the paint job. 
  • munckee said:
    I’d just live with it if I didn’t feel up to doing it myself. I don’t think that it’s worth paying someone to refinish a cheap guitar .
    very true
    Worst could happen is you strip it and wax it if you don't like the paint job. 
    yeah, wonder if I stripped it altogether...
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Don't have the skills to do it?

Learn!

It's as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Whilst it may not be a professional finish, it'll be something you've done and I guarantee you'll be chuffed with the results.

I did a Tele body years ago, wasn't perfect but I loved it and was proud of what I had done.

SNAKEBITE said:

Don't have the skills to do it?

Learn!

It's as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Whilst it may not be a professional finish, it'll be something you've done and I guarantee you'll be chuffed with the results.

I did a Tele body years ago, wasn't perfect but I loved it and was proud of what I had done.

Agree with this my respray was first time I have spray painted anything (apart from a church wall many years ago but that's a different story!) turned out fine, sold the guitar on for a small profit!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    Absolutely do it if you like the guitar. The name at the top is pretty irrelevant, if it floats your boat then it’s worth the time and effort. 

I think the only thing that lets Squiers down sometimes is the down to a budget, thick and plasticy feeling finishes. There’s quite possibly a stunning guitar in there waiting to be let out. 
  • You might find that sanding off a coat or 2 takes away the cross, but leaves the rest of the black intact. Then it's just a case of polishing the shit out of it to get the gloss back (or a quick coat of lacquer + polish). It's a risk, but I imagine that the cross was added on after the black at the factory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I had a Yamaha RGX, which is not an expensive guitar, re-finished by @lamf68 from this very parish as I liked the guitar.
    It turned out stunning.
    Either get somebody to do it or have a go with a rattle can yourself.
    I am shortly going to do another RGX I have myself with a rattle can, I just completely stripped the guitar this morning ready.
    If you like the guitar why not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As a matter of interest what paint stripper would you guys recommend?  

I ask because I did exactly this 30 years ago with my Squier, used stripper which worked well on some parts of the body but I had to really lay into other spots, so that when I stained the body those parts sucked up more stain than others, leaving a very patchy finish.

Maybe it was the type of finish, it was a glossy black coat, some of it was a bugger to shift.  Just thought I'd ask in case OP decides to go for it.

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    It would be simple. The guitar is only costing me €150. I don't have the skills to refinish, so would be paying someone to do it...
    Skills or experience?. Both can be acquired with practice, alacrity  and a little patience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    clarkefan said:
    As a matter of interest what paint stripper would you guys recommend?  

In my day, it was known as a blowlamp  =)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    If you want a nice nitro finish on your Squier just rough the paint up a little then rattle can away .it looks great and you get your colour choice as long as its a solid colour  I am not a great believer in thick or thin layers of paint . A colour over a burst body works a treat and relics really well but much slower  than you would think .
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I've refinished a couple of guitars using nitro spray cans. I stripped one back using a heat gun. The other I just oversprayed after a bit of sanding. Both look great. So I would think long and hard before stripping back.

And if I can get a good finish, anyone can.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Abandoned the idea in the end. I'm going to look at a partscaster this year.
  • Its only worth doing if you love it. I put a new bridge and pickups on my Squier and I intend to keep it.

This is it pre-mod

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent