Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a good Indian cookbook.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The Hairy Bikers curry book is pretty good.
    Alas I managed to loose my copy of the Sainsbury's book of curries which is no longer in print. Which was a fantastic book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    I would also vote for the Hairy Bikers book. Made quite a few recipes from it and they work well. They recipes, I think, all originate from home cooks too, so they are fairly easy to replicate. Can't comment on authenticity, but flavour-wise, they are top notch.

Adam
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've got a few Indian cookbooks that are excatly that - cookbooks I bought in India. They are not easy to use as they refer to cooking things for one whistle or two whistles. I had presumed they were implying the use of pressure cookers but that doesn't always seem to be the case. I gave up with them!

The Madhur Jaffrey books are now classics and the Rick Stein books are surprisingly good. I have another that is good but I've forgotten the name of it! It may be the Curry Bible that someone else referred to. I rarely cook with cookbooks though, I used to be quite obseessed with them and have read hundreds over the years. I tend to just make things up based on recipes I've read and trial and error. The Guardian column where they compare loads of different recipes to arrive at a perfect dish is always an interesting read. I use that their chana dal recipe as the basis for the massive pots of dal I make and freeze.