Chords/Roman Numerals/Nashville/Modes Pt2

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10697
    Old thread! But found this about Nashville number system 

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/30240-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nashville-number-system

It does seem that if you are in a minor or major key modal or not the I is always the I of the related major key. Which kinda makes sense as you will always be thinking about the key and the mode. Rather than saying we are Em Dorian, It’s easier to say D Major.
     First chord Em which we call chord II which is the home sound. 
    Which makes no sense to me, as you have to relate the home key to another chord entirely, then unrelate it back again to get to your home key. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Old thread! But found this about Nashville number system 

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/30240-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nashville-number-system

It does seem that if you are in a minor or major key modal or not the I is always the I of the related major key. Which kinda makes sense as you will always be thinking about the key and the mode. Rather than saying we are Em Dorian, It’s easier to say D Major.
     First chord Em which we call chord II which is the home sound. 
    Which makes no sense to me, as you have to relate the home key to another chord entirely, then unrelate it back again to get to your home key. 
    It’s an interesting one. This vid makes a great point towards the end, Nashville v Roman Numeral system. Nashville System is easier to understand as I IV V are always major ii iii vi are always minor. Anything outside is b or # 

https://youtu.be/VeIQTAE8YU0
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited December 2020
    Or you could say Roman is easier to understand because the 1 is always the 1.

Edit - Sorry, I actually wrote that by mistake! It’s so ingrained in me. I meant to say because the home note is always the 1. 

After a few months learning music the fact that a minor key has a minor 2, 4 and 5 isn’t so difficult. But knowing which key you’re in, well that’s fundamentally important for ever. And it also works for keys that are not really in major or minor (eg smoke on the water). 

Anyway, it’s up to folk I guess. It doesn’t matter if some people want to say Black Magic Woman has 623 instead of a minor 145, or that minor jazz pieces are full of 736s instead of minor 251s. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.