Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Voice in your head

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Kermit the Frog.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I thought it was a legal requirement that everything had to be read in Stephen Fry's voice.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited February 2019
    Given about 65% of everything I think is swearing I should cultivate a Scottish voice, like that bloke in "The Thick of It".

I will say though that my inner monologue doesn't have an Australian accent, which is weird.
  • Alnico said:
    Kermit the Frog.
    Or is that Jordan Peterson?
    I suppose someone had to say it :)
    It's not a competition.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited February 2019
    My "thinking voice" feels very neutral and accent free.  Colourless, almost.

One thing that's probably familiar to most people is that point when you first hear your recorded voice and realise, often with a bit of a shock, that your voice isn't as neutral and accent-free as you imagined.  I also remember the first time I spoke through a mic and realised the voice booming round the hall was very different from the voice I thought I had.

Maybe if there was a way of recording the voice I think in I'd have a similar revelation but my sense is that most of what gives your voice character arrives not at the point you think of the word but the point at which you say it.  Maybe some expert in the field will disagree but that's how it feels to me.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”