First Jam As A Bass Player!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    crunchman said:
    Talking of early stuff, isn't there a bass solo of some kind on Under a Blood Red Sky?
    It is probably the encore song during which Clayton does the sparse guitar harmonics through delay because Edge is on bass. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't think I know that song.
    I might even listen to it later!
    War is their best album imo. 
    VimFuego said:
    I was wondering how does playing something other than lead instrument work at a jam? ... locally, it generally says all welcome, there will be the house/backing band ... what happens if you want to play bass?
    Attend a different jam session.

VimFuego said:
    I've never been to a jam
    Strictly speaking, most of the events that describe themselves as jam sessions turn out to be a loose confederation of random local musicians, mangling cover versions. There will be little or no improvisation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strictly speaking, most of the events that describe themselves as jam sessions turn out to be a loose confederation of random local musicians, mangling cover versions. There will be little or no improvisation.
    I played improvised electronic music for years, born out of a passion for modal jazz. We jammed. We invited other jammers. I ran a jam night (two rules: no funk, no rock). 

I then attended a 'jam night' just outside Bolton. Nobody was jamming. Everyone was playing a tune they already knew and waiting for their extended pentatonic shapefest, and everyone knew each other and the repertoire. It made me humble for the freedom that I was taking for granted.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    crunchman said:
    John_A said:
    New Years Day uses 3rds. Very memorable bass line too, just to give Adam a bit of support ;)
    That's an early one.  Talking of early stuff, isn't there a bass solo of some kind on Under a Blood Red Sky?
    Yep, Gloria. Not technically impressive (I can play it, and I’m shit), doesn’t really add much to the song, but still better than most bass solos. :)

Clayton is a perfect example of how simplicity, feel, and fitting the song, is vastly more important than fancy technique.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    mart said:
    crunchman said:
    John_A said:
    New Years Day uses 3rds. Very memorable bass line too, just to give Adam a bit of support ;)
    That's an early one.  Talking of early stuff, isn't there a bass solo of some kind on Under a Blood Red Sky?
    Yep, Gloria. Not technically impressive (I can play it, and I’m shit), doesn’t really add much to the song, but still better than most bass solos. :)

Clayton is a perfect example of how simplicity, feel, and fitting the song, is vastly more important than fancy technique.
    A line most commonly used by those without chops (me included) ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited February 2019
    John_A said:
    mart said:
    crunchman said:
    John_A said:
    New Years Day uses 3rds. Very memorable bass line too, just to give Adam a bit of support
    Yep, Gloria. Not technically impressive (I can play it, and I’m shit), doesn’t really add much to the song, but still better than most bass solos.

A line most commonly used by those without chops (me included)
    Darn, you rumbled me.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6078
    mart said:
    crunchman said:
    John_A said:

Add to that the ability to work cooperatively with others - next to having a sense of rhythm, it’s perhaps the most vital attribute.
    best advice is try not to be clever & overplay ... Always remember someone has to stoke the boiler to let somebody else drive the train.
    This.

My suggestion to any guitarist having a go at playing bass in a band situation is to try to play what you would expect the bassist to play if you were on lead guitar. 
    MrBump said:
    this week, I'm going to attend an informal jam as a bass player!
    Q1) Has this happened yet?
    Q2) If so, how did it go?
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Nah, work stuff came up and I couldn't make it. I'll go to the next one, 2 weeks time.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/