Gibson ES 335

What's Hot

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    There was a supposed to be a photo attached to that... can someone pleas tell me how the fuck you do it?
    Have you got a link to it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Try again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK  so I need help hyperben.
    I uploaded a photo to tinypic then copy/pasted the URL code for email and IM first time and IMG code for forums and message boards second time but nothing??
    OK  so I need help hyperben.
    I uploaded a photo to tinypic then copy/pasted the URL code for email and IM first time and IMG code for forums and message boards second time but nothing??
    I’ve only used imgur. I know how that works but haven’t tried anything else 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    hyperben said:
    Here’s my cherry 61 from the sale. Tried out 5 or 6 of the cherry ones and this one just sounded incredible and had the nicest neck so I took it home with me. It was the most plain to look at, but I think it has a nice vintage look.

That's bloody lovely, congrats. How much variety was there between the necks? Tone wise I'm guessing they were all in the same ballpark?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2019
    Veeeery nice and congrats. I love a cherry red 335...only proper colour imo!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Just picked up my new cherry 335 '61 from guitarguitar and it's killer!
    The chaps in Epsom were a delight to deal with and very helpful!
    If anybody is thinking about buying 335 I would urge them to get on down to guitarguitar ASAP before they sell out of these at beauties which are a steal at £2499!!
    Only !  :s :'(
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Just picked up my new cherry 335 '61 from guitarguitar and it's killer!
    The chaps in Epsom were a delight to deal with and very helpful!
    If anybody is thinking about buying 335 I would urge them to get on down to guitarguitar ASAP before they sell out of these at beauties which are a steal at £2499!!
    Only !  :s :'(
    You can do it on buy now, pay next year.  Probably not being helpful am I.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks hyperben... hopefully via the power of imgur the link brings up my '61!
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK so I've managed to get a link but how do I post the image like those before me have done?
    roberty said:
    hyperben said:
    Here’s my cherry 61 from the sale. Tried out 5 or 6 of the cherry ones and this one just sounded incredible and had the nicest neck so I took it home with me. It was the most plain to look at, but I think it has a nice vintage look.

That's bloody lovely, congrats. How much variety was there between the necks? Tone wise I'm guessing they were all in the same ballpark?
    Thanks. The necks varied a lot more than I thought they would. The thinnest I played was REALLY thin at the nut - like the thinnest LP Classics. The amount of wood was so thin it felt a bit vulnerable to be honest. They all tapered to sensible girth at the 12th fret. My cherry was the thickest and was much more substantial - bigger than the 63s I’ve played. Tone wise same basic ballpark, but a surprising amount of variation still. It’s all personal preference obviously but mine has a really strong bass response and hollowish mids but quite dark compared to others. Sounds great into a plexi. I think they all sounded good though. 
    edited February 2019
    OK so I've managed to get a link but how do I post the image like those before me have done?
    There's a link and then there's an image link. The image link ends with a file extension eg .jpg

Bloody lovely mate. Such an iconic design and the VOS look is perfect on these. I particularly like the yellowed headstock inlays

Been playing my bigsby one for the past 4 hours. Only went in to do a quick tidy! It just sings, so pleased with it
    hyperben said:
    roberty said:
    hyperben said:

Thanks. The necks varied a lot more than I thought they would. The thinnest I played was REALLY thin at the nut - like the thinnest LP Classics. The amount of wood was so thin it felt a bit vulnerable to be honest. They all tapered to sensible girth at the 12th fret. My cherry was the thickest and was much more substantial - bigger than the 63s I’ve played. Tone wise same basic ballpark, but a surprising amount of variation still. It’s all personal preference obviously but mine has a really strong bass response and hollowish mids but quite dark compared to others. Sounds great into a plexi. I think they all sounded good though. 
    Awesome thanks for the report. Sounds like you chose well. Sounds similar to the neck on the '64 330 I played a few weeks ago. It was flat at the back but still quite fat and with a decent shoulder to it. I wonder if the thicker neck accounts in part for the bigger bass/scoopy mids

Tbh I could have driven up to B'ham (it's a 4 hour round trip) but bigsby Gibsons are so rare, especially at the price, and being a reformed Smiths fan I've had a bigsby 3XX on my list for a while. Anyway I've been playing the crap out of it, it is a fine thing

I don’t think the bassiness comes from the neck as I played others with similar necks that didn’t sound bassy, and another with a thinner neck that did. The body literally resonates like an acoustic guitar though compared to other 335s and that’s where you feel the bass against your body. 
    I couldn't be bothered with a 4 hour round trip to the Guitar Show yesterday, so I went to Guitar Guitar in Epsom instead.

Came back with this:

I wasn't necessarily planning to buy one, but I did want to try one.  I tried this out against a regular factory one - thinking that if there wasn't much difference I'd wait and buy one at a later date.  This one totally blew the other one away, so it came home with me.

Here it is with the R9 I bought last year:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    crunchman said:
    I couldn't be bothered with a 4 hour round trip to the Guitar Show yesterday, so I went to Guitar Guitar in Epsom instead.

Came back with this:

I wasn't necessarily planning to buy one, but I did want to try one.  I tried this out against a regular factory one - thinking that if there wasn't much difference I'd wait and buy one at a later date.  This one totally blew the other one away, so it came home with me.

Here it is with the R9 I bought last year:

What a pair! It appears we have similar taste. Congrats :-)
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    @crunchman is that the 58 RI 335?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited February 2019
    Those blow out 335’s also have proper full tenon neck 
    joints and cheeky PAF stickers

https://i.imgur.com/0O8wMDh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ygb7QeG.jpg
    Fifty9 said:
    @crunchman is that the 58 RI 335?

No, it's the 61 that's on the blowout.

I was a little bit wary of the slim neck, but it feels really nice to play. I've had wrist problems in the past with necks like the PRS wide thin, so hopefully this will be good long term.  I'm trying to learn not to press so hard on the strings.  I grew up playing an acoustic with 13s on for a good while, and I got in the habit of putting far too much pressure on the strings.  Don't think that helped at all.

roberty said:

What a pair! It appears we have similar taste. Congrats :-)
    To be honest, all else being equal, I would have preferred a 335 in cherry.  They were sold out of cherry though, and I like sunburst as well.