Fender American Original 50s Strat

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
edited February 2019 in Guitar

I've kind of missed looking at the new details of the transition from the Fender AV series to the new American Originals.

The main difference looks like 9.5 neck radius and vintage tall frets, are they 6105s? Also non year specific models simplified to just a 50s and 60s.

Does anyone know if the nitro finish is the same flaky stuff they used on the AVs. I had an AV52 Tele and a lump of finish just fell off of it's own accord. Has this improved?

I like the look of the Aztec Gold 50s Strat and the V shaped neck appeals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Comparing a Sixties Original in a shop to my AVRI ‘62 and ‘65, the neck profile is closer to the ‘62. I found its flatter fingerboard radius disconcerting. The frets may be taller - reminiscent of the Hot Rod series - but not huge like the American Deluxe/Elite series.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    The finish has been changed, it is more robust. I think they've gone back to more of the avri type of finish.

I haven't seen too many disappointed owners of the AO line since they were released. I have the surf green jag, and it is best jag I've owned no question (and I have had a fair few).

Got my eye on the turquoise Jazzmaster at some stage.
  • Ok thanks

• I don't have any experience with the AVRI stuff but I've played a couple of AO 60s strats and was really impressed. Neck was definitely chunkier than my MIM 60's and it felt really well made. Looked vintage but played a bit more modernly.