Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to spend £2.5k

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Strat54 said:
    Dodge said:
    I'd be trying to find an 80's PRS Custom at that price point.  Great guitars and whilst I know you said you weren't bothered about resale, they are becoming collectable and should start to appreciate.
    They seem to have already hit a celiling. I don't see them appreciating at the moment. Even the 85's are being discounted from their once lofty prices. Nice guitars but then again so are the latest ones. 
    I think they hit a ceiling about 4/5 years ago and declined, but I think genuine sold prices of the early ones have been pretty steady in the last 12-18 months and an 80's Custom should be in budget.  They're not appreciating right at the minute, but they will do just by being old, of limited numbers and a bloody good guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Buy used... get more for your cash & if you decide at some stage you want a change you won't take a huge hit, if any ... 
    Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    guitars4you said:
    I'd choose the used approach - You'll get more for your money, with less/little depreciation over a 10/20 year period ... Granted the guitar for sale might not be on your door step ...
    There is another reason for buying used. “The One” rarely is, either because you realise that it doesn’t tick all of your boxes, or because your taste moves on. If you’ve bought new then it’s more of a wrench to sell it. If you’ve commissioned “The One” then it’s an even bigger financial loss.

Don’t forget the thrill of the journey, whether you buy used or new. You can learn a lot, and really enjoy yourself, buy visiting shops over a period of months and trying their guitars. 

For value-for-money I’d go used every time (beaten only by making my own). If you’re after a memorable experience then you could book yourself onto a guitar making course, and build your own.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mgaw said:
    2nd hand without a doubt for me, I rarely see the point in buying new, unless its the only one available to you....I did do just that with a Preston Thompson Acoustic, I had been looking for a looooooooooong time for a used one and ran out of patience....
    Not heard of them. Just looked at their website. Good f**king god. Did you go Brazilian :)
  • Alnico said:
    I'd be on a train to Croydon for a cup of tea.

Good luck.
    My thoughts exactly. Have a wisdom. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    BBBlues said:
    If you say resale value is not a factor, it’s purely down to your personal preference...

In my experience, resale value will always be a factor (eventually) for most people and you shouldn’t overlook this. Bearing this is mind, I’d go s/h Fender or Gibson custom shop.

I agree, it's not often that I found a guitar that I didn't want to sell at some later point in time. Your playing style might change, or you might switch from acoustic to electric or vv.  Always best to buy used unless you are buying something too unusual to find secondhand
  • shoodursshoodurs Frets: 35
    edited February 2019
    Lincoln since your big day is a "few years away"" I'd say forget the future guitar for now. Deciding on a new guitar for the now is way different when deciding on one for a few months time. Until the big NGD arrives enjoy the chase! Think of what kind of music you like. What kind of sound does your hero has but then again is that really you. 
    For now drench yourself in loads of sounds of guitarists and loads of styles guitar and their sound. My hero is Gary Moore so got me a Gibson LP standard as Gary had my favourite tone. I also got a USA Strat deluxe. Last I year bought a new Fender USA Telecaster Special both were simply because I LOVE their sound.
    As I said take your time and enjoy the chase...oh and remember it's not all about spending 2.5K 
  • lincolnblue said: It's going to be a guitar I keep.
    We’ve all heard that one before!  :)

Good luck with the hunt, and like everyone says I would buy used, there’s so much choice out there and with £2.5k to spend you should get something really special. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/