Guitar Strings

What's Hot
Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
I usually buy my guitar strings by mail order several packets at a time, and heve been using Strings Direct. Are there any other similar companies that people have been using as I would like to get a price check, to see if they are competative. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Look out for deals on Amazon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2433
    +1 for Amazon - used to be able to get D'Addario XL 10-packs for £45! Think prices have gone up since I last did a bulk buy though.
    Tim
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    mbe said:
    Look out for deals on Amazon. 

As long as you buy from Amazon itself, and not a marketplace seller, who sometimes (often?) sell fake strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Thanks Guys
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Might be worth checking out the Brum Guitar Show, might be some deals 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I usually buy my strings from either Amazon or an eBay seller that I’ve been using for ages and trust. Strings Direct do sometimes have some very good promotion deals and are a reliable seller but there are cheaper sellers around.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I usually buy my strings from either Amazon or an eBay seller that I’ve been using for ages and trust. Strings Direct do sometimes have some very good promotion deals and are a reliable seller but there are cheaper sellers around.
    Yeah - That's what I thought as well. Although Strings Direct did price match, when I told them of a cheaper price!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Andertons do 4 for 3 on most popular brands/gauges. Also give Strings Direct a call and get them to quote you on the best price - they gave me a bit of a discount this way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I’ve used Strings Direct for over 20 years. I do try and use the PMT up the road from me because I would rather shops stay open than close down.
    For sheer price you probably can’t beat Amazon or Thomann (assuming you’re getting stuff over the free delivery threshold). 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8032
    I tend to buy loads when I’m in the USA - mostly Slinky Cobalt and Dr Pure Blues (11’s on everything). Much cheaper. Otherwise, I use Amazon. I bought a job lot of Daddario Balanced Tension 11’s, as they cause less twisting on a Bigsby, resulting in a smoother feel. 

If if I go into a guitar shop in the UK, i always buy a set of strings. 

I’ve got enough to see out the year. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My main go to is Strings Direct but as I use different gauges and types sometimes I go to GuitarBitz who do good deals. Stringbusters was also good but they've shut down recently I think.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I've just had an order arrive today from strings direct.  Never used than before, but pretty impressed.  Need Thomatik Power Brights, so not cheap, but a slightly better price that Amazon.  Ordered yesterday and arrived this morning, top marks and I will probably buy from them again. 
    I'd really love to find Power Brights a it cheaper though as £32 for 2 sets is still a lot of money, but then you get what you pay for and do last a bloody long time.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996
    edited February 2019
    I used to always use Stringbusters, but from searching on here they are best avoided atm.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    Yeah, Stringbusters are dead. Had to do a PayPal claim to get my money back last August.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ebony_and_ivory_ltd - they do those packets of three for less than Strings Direct, I think, and they don't seem to charge for postage.

Not that I've used their postal service because they are local to me and give a 7.5% discount for personal callers. Unfortunately they don't stock any guitars that would appeal to me - but they have always been nice to deal with. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    I'm possibly a bit odd, but I generally buy my strings from real people, so fiddle strings I buy from my local luthier. I've started buying guitar and mando strings from Newtone. 
    Sure I pay a bit more than the box shifters, but probably don't change strings as often as I should, so the extra isn't all that much in real terms. 
    An added benefit of buying from my luthier is she'll fit the E string for me, cos I hate fitting the E string to a violin. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I would suggest Strings and beyond. It’s an American company but if you register for their email updates you Will notice that every few months they offer free international shipping. Just remember not to order more than £18 worth of strings in one order or or you’ll be Liable for customs duty.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8779
    VimFuego said:
    I'm possibly a bit odd, but I generally buy my strings from real people, so fiddle strings I buy from my local luthier. I've started buying guitar and mando strings from Newtone. 
    Sure I pay a bit more than the box shifters, but probably don't change strings as often as I should, so the extra isn't all that much in real terms. 
    An added benefit of buying from my luthier is she'll fit the E string for me, cos I hate fitting the E string to a violin. 
    Recently I’ve been using Newtone too. They last me longer than D’Addarios,
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    I normally use Strings Direct but I've just ordered 10 sets of EB's from Thomann.  Thomann were marginally cheaper but the main reason for using them was that I needed to order a few other bits and pieces and, by adding the string order, I qualified for free delivery.  Waiting to see if Brexit buggers up using them after April.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    Roland said:
    VimFuego said:
    Recently I’ve been using Newtone too. They last me longer than D’Addarios,
    interesting, I was apprehensive about switching away from D'adds, as I've always been happy with quality and longevity, but if the newtones last at least as long as d'adds then I'll be a happy camper.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.