Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #45

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #45

Voting will end at midnight 28th February 2019.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm45-2019-02

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well, to be honest I think the other three are all excellent an much better than my attempt which has some duff notes and bad timing.... should have tried harder but the more I did, the worst it seemed to get! At least I’ve worked out soloing in a new scale, despite not knowing what it is. I’ll give 5 points to stratman’s proggy solo which follows the backing track in a great way, 3 to Fastonebaz and 1 to Bellycaster. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 @stratman3142 I really enjoyed the phrasing here 
    3 points @Bellycaster ;
    1 point @MagicPigDetective ;
  • 5 Points @stratman3142 - Nice and flowing, smooth solo, really blended in nice with the Backing Track.

3 Points @fastonebaz - A bit more Prog Shred but perfectly executed. There's a bit in there that starts around 26 seconds in that reminds me of something I can't place, it's driving me nuts.

1 Point @MagicPigDetective - Nice approach with the use of an alternative scale, gave it a mysterious eastern quality.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 points @stratman3142 ; for the most balanced melodic and shred approach

3 points @fastonebaz for living in paradise with a Jem of a solo

1 point @Bellycaster another awesome job
  • All good entries. My votes are:

5 points @fastonebaz : A great soaring solo with melody and shred. Good articulation and clarity on the fast runs.
    3 points @Bellycaster : Another soaring solo with some nice melodic lines.
    1 points @MagicPigDetective : This was educational for me because 'in theory' I wouldn't have imagined that the Phrygian type sound with the b2 would work, but somehow it does. It's a similar thing to what @Modellista did in last month's SotM. It's opened my ears, and I'll probably go through a phase of abusing that concept :) I just felt the solo lost a bit of direction in the second half.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting ends at midnight tomorrow.
    It's not a competition.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited February 2019

1 points @MagicPigDetective : This was educational for me because 'in theory' I wouldn't have imagined that the Phrygian type sound with the b2 would work, but somehow it does. It's a similar thing to what @Modellista did in last month's SotM. It's opened my ears, and I'll probably go through a phase of abusing that concept I just felt the solo lost a bit of direction in the second half.

I can't help you out with the theory - I was going for an Ozric Tentacles eastern vibe and those notes seemed to fit with the backing. Agree that I lost my way half way through.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Great job guys ..

5 points to @MagicPigDetective ; .. really loved the eastern influence .. great solo

3 points to @Bellycaster ; .. great melodic solo

1 point @stratman3142 ; .. another  great melodic solo that sounded a bit low in the mix on my system ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Well, to be honest I think the other three are all excellent an much better than my attempt which has some duff notes and bad timing.... s
    Are a good thing ... they create interest and stop music being sterile. Listen to all the great solos from the 1970's .. major timing issues. Page made a point of it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3029
    edited February 2019
    Fretwired said:
    Well, to be honest I think the other three are all excellent an much better than my attempt which has some duff notes and bad timing.... s
    Are a good thing ... they create interest and stop music being sterile. Listen to all the great solos from the 1970's .. major timing issues. Page made a point of it.
    Thank you so much @fretwired for your comments here and on the bass challenge, they are a real morale booster!  I was a bit nervous about putting my playing out there. I don’t have much real life guitar interactions at the moment so love hearing any comments, be they supportive or critical. I’ll never be a slick polished player that’s for sure. Yes as you say Page is sloppy but it sounds so real, musical and alive. 
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
  • Disappointed I didn’t get my ass in gear this month. Will try harder in March. 

Great entries this month 

5 points - @fastonebaz ;

3 points - @Bellycaster ;

1 point - @stratman3142 ;
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.