Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Musicians you like as people

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I think I've been lucky with who I've met. 

Frank Turner has been really nice every time I've met him. When he first went solo my brother and I had a pint with him at one of his shows & he remembered me when I saw him the next time he came to town. 

The guys from Biffy are fun too & seem genuinely appreciative of where they are.

Serj from SOAD was really friendly when I bumped into him & offered me tickets to a show (I'd already bought some). 

Special mention for AFI & QOTSA- my brother & had tickets to see both bands but he was diagnosed with cancer & told not to go (compromised immune system). I emailed their promoters & both bands left signed merch for him... He eventually ignored dr's orders & went anyway. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Not met too many but Phil Demmel from Vio-Lence/Machine Head is a top fella.  Always recognises me and my mate when we see him and goes out of his way to chat.  
    Lars was very personable and Steve Harris was nice, if a little reserved. 

My mate has worked with Slash many times and quite often goes for a beer with him as he just wants to get away from the rawk business and sip a pint in a quiet pub, somewhere off the beaten track.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    Lloyd Cole was lovely..... but I was getting him to sign a CD that I’d just bought.....Yes he did have Perfect Skin....
    Were you on a Lost Weekend?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Albert lee was really nice when I met him, as were Eric roach and Dave k. Was lucky to have both as teachers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I once met dave peacock (as in Chas & Dave) really nice genuine bloke!

• Clint Boon of the Inspirals is a lovely bloke. Roy Wood is very cool too - surreal experience with him as he was friends with someone I worked with so came over to us for a chat.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RobDavies said:
    Lars was very personable and Steve Harris was nice, if a little reserved. 
    Not surprised about Steve Harris. You don't be in one of the world's biggest bands but be happy to hide behind a mascot if you're a big extrovert rock star. 

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I once beat Dave Murray at scaletrix  

As I used to work for Orange Goblin I met a fair few people over the years. 
    Phil Anselmo was fairly nice, if a little intense. 
    Once had a dressing room with Clutch opposite,  Ghost on one side and Machine Head on the other. Flynn was actually quite nice. Dave McCain was cool too, if perhaps baffled by me being really excited about the Narita demo and SA Slayer. 
    Papa from Ghost was cool but then I was in th same label for while and was friends with the bassist at the time. 

Strangely, my close friend has met both Gallagher brothers a few times and said that Liam is actually really sound.
  • For the brief few seconds I "met" Chuck Prophet & Stephanie Finch they seemed really nice ordinary folk & not at all up themselves. My general impression is they are OK.

I once walked up some stairs behind Dan Stuart (also of Green on Red), who I think is possibly less OK, he didn't let one go at me, or turn round & tell me to stop following him. So I suppose it went alright. I imagine it's a moment he reflects on often.

I have never met Ian McKaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi & others) & I don't really like what I've heard of his music, but I've got a lot of respect for him as a person & agree with a lot of what I have read in interviews, particularly about the incremental nature of change.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I'm lucky to have met quite a few famous guitarists and session guys, tbh they've all been really nice down to earth people. A few standouts have been Andy Cortes (James Bay), Adam Zindani (Stereophonics) Josh Landau (The Shrine) and Dan Hawkins. Just great genuine people. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited February 2019
    I always thought Allan holdsworth was a decent bloke. Obviously had some inner demons trying to reach his idea of perfection. He would always make time for his fans. 
    Allan was devoid of any sort of ego and comes across  having a great sense of humour.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • My cousin used to work for a Charta flight company and flew Metallica around on the load tour. Said the band were complete a-holes except lars who spent the entire time apologising.  

They used to turn the cabin oxygen down so that they went to sleap after a couple of drinks.
  • RearWingRearWing Frets: 98
    Wreckless Eric - Eric is a very pleasant chap who always has time for a chat and i always leave thinking that i could have spent longer with him. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    John Etheridge
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    FastEddie said:
    Slim from the Hamsters.
    John Ottway
    What lovely people.
    Yes indeed.

I also had the privelige of meeting Isaac Guillory who was a really nice bloke.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited March 2019
    FastEddie said:
    Slim from the Hamsters.
    John Ottway
    What lovely people.
    Andy Billups, the Hamsters bass player, is a mate of mine. Really lovely fella. He’s self employed doing garden decking these days although he still does the odd gig with a Free tribute band. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    I met BarryCadogan briefly, yesterday, and was very taken with him.  Very decent, humble bloke and a pleasure to talk to.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Jody Stephens, drummer with Big Star. An absolutely lovely guy. Thoroughly unpretentious, incredibly friendly and probably the sweetest bloke in the business.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Billy Sheehan - met him a couple of times after Mr Big gigs. Always makes time to stop and chat and is a lovely fella.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    Jeff Beck and Bruce Dickinson definately!
    i have had the great privilege of meeting both of them and they were both such lovely all round good guys!