Improving your ear ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I haven't watched a second of this yet but Rick is usually fairly sensible.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool thread I’ve downloaded the iOS app. I’ve only tried easy intervals before like 4th’s amazing grace. 5th Star Wars etc
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited January 2020
    Initially, I found that guitar chords are difficult to hear, compared to piano, due to the spread of the notes. Example, on common guitar Major and minor barre chords the 3rd is actually a 10th, I find that the 10th is not as easy to hear as an actual 3rd interval.

Notes of a Major barre chord on guitar.

CDEFGABCDEFGABC

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1582
    Its about keeping the last thing you heard in your head and then replicating it. If you can sing it you can play it, as well. 

My eldest son trained as a classical musician (bass vocalist). All of the students on the course including the instrument players from horns to strings were required to learn to sing. The theory was that if you couldn't memorise and repeat a phrase vocally, then it was because you lacked an ability to manage pitch, intervals and rhythm.

I don't know it that actually is true - but have a suspicion that the tutors believed that if  you could demonstrate it clearly by singing the required piece, then it proved you had no major problems with your ear and musicality in general

Seems to be a theme across a lot of music schools:

https://www.modacity.co/blog/how-singing-can-help-you-play-an-instrument/

(My problem is I can sing (a bit) and play guitar averagely enough - but when it comes to trying to do both I just end up singing whatever the guitar happens to be playing, irrespective of the flipping melody :) )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom