Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dunlop Max Grip plectrums - pure witchcraft

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    SRich said:
    Agreed on the V Picks......they bring something else.
    Just ordered one to try out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I thought I wanted max grips, sweaty handed cretin that i am, then bought the carbon composite ones. Indeed like finger Velcro, but sadly the finger equivalent of wearing a shirt made of burlap sack.

I prefer the max grips light texture of the primetone ultex J3's and the Flows.

I prefer chicken pick BA3's and Shredders over any though. Came across them by accident, what I primarily use now.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I feel so vanilla sitting here with my Dunlop orange tortex picks I’ve been using for for decades
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    terada said:
    I feel so vanilla sitting here with my Dunlop orange tortex picks I’ve been using for for decades
    They kept turning in my fingers. Wish I didn't have greasy hands.

Also the tips wore too fast on any picks that weren't ultex or UHMWPE etc. I'm not even that heavy handed. Do use heavier strings though.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 684
    edited February 2019
    I currently swear by D'Addario cortex picks. I was previously a yellow tortexer for no other reason than I liked the thickness. (Before that I think I had some glow in the dark ones but they seemed to stop making those).

When I left all my picks at home one rehearsal I bought the only one they had at the studio - the cortex. Much brighter response on acoustics and I prefer the feel on electrics, too.

Cortex is apparently supposed to be an artificial alternative to actual tortoise shell picks, not that I'm in any position to compare the two.

I can't see myself paying £12+ for a pick, let alone £35. Knowing they cost that much I'd probably avoid trying them at all in case I liked them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7467

Cortex is apparently supposed to be an artificial alternative to actual tortoise shell picks, not that I'm in any position to compare the two.
    I think this is the claim of 76% of all picks ever manufactured ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7467
    For the most part I'm still using up a bag of 100 Planet Waves Black Ice that I bought years ago! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The surface was too abrasive for me and I gave them away.

The bog standard tortex seem OK to me, but if it was my company I would be asking for feedback on the finish and feel.

TimmyO said:
    For the most part I'm still using up a bag of 100 Planet Waves Black Ice that I bought years ago! 

For me, they are the best of the normal priced ones.  I like the size and shape, and the material is quite decent.
  • I’m new to the guitar, and one of the first things I did was order loads of picks to try. I found the Dunlop Max Grip a bit too grippy (if that’s possible). I’ve currently narrowed my choice down to Primetone Standard Grip 2.0 (similar grip, but less harsh) and a Gravity Classic Standard 2.0 in polished finish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No pick sticks to me. I used to think all this 'sticky' stuff was hype but it seems I am the odd one out. Body chemistry?

I use V-Picks (Psychos) most of the time. Vinnie claims they stick to fingers but they dont to mine. I do drop the damn things, and because they are clear, they are hard to find. Vinnie advises using a flashlight, but even if i did it wouldnt do much good competing under the band's lights.

I have a Blue Chip TD45 and that doesnt stick either.  I loaned the Blue Chip to a friend who ended up buying one. In fact he has 2 now. Works for him.

As for expense I dont begrudge it. I spent enough money on picks between 2015 and 2017 to have afforded a PRS SE model guitar, but It was better spent on experimenting with picks. Its improved my alternating picking massively.

Here are some I reviewed a couple of years back. I was into the coconut shell ones at the time.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I have a few jazz III's with the max grip, which is really annoying when I pick them up. I find that they always seem to be in the "wrong position" in my grip, and it's almost impossible to adjust. I simply cannot use them. But yeah, they stick like shit to an army blanket.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11314
    Excuse me, 35 quid for a pick???!!! Do you get them from Russ Andrews? 

My first guitar cost just over half that. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Excuse me, 35 quid for a pick???!!! Do you get them from Russ Andrews? 

My first guitar cost just over half that. 

The Blue Chip picks really do sound better - especially on acoustic.  I've tried a bunch of other picks, but I haven't yet found one that matches.

The closest I've found was one from Hawk picks, but that was made of something quite brittle and it snapped in half in my jeans pocket one day.  That was £12 so it wasn't exactly cheap.

I've ordered one from V picks that has yet to arrive, and I haven't tried Wegen yet, but I don't really like their sizes and shapes.

The only upside with Blue Chip is that the material doesn't wear at any noticeable rate.  They will probably last as long as 10 regular picks - as long as you don't lose them.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    I use hawk and wegen on mandolin (waaaay too tight to shell our for a bluechip) and TBH I can't really tell the difference between the hawk and the wegen, I stick to the hawk cos it has a funky colour pattern

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    terada said:
    Same here, I've used hundreds of Tortex .88mm picks for around 20 years - imagine where I'd be if I'd used £35 ones.

Living on the streets probably!