Lazy J cruiser pedal.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Who’s got one, had one. Any advice would on this pedal would be very welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    Worked great with the J20, but no tone control was a deal breaker for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As @Lebarque said, it works great with a Lazy J amp and probably goes great with all tweed style amps. I have one, it's a very different sounding overdrive pedal to the masses out there in the sense that its very pre-amp like...it has a very clear rawness and a fast attack to it so you cannot be sloppy as a result. If you've played a Hudson Broadcast then you know what I'm talking about in terms of pre-amp style response and lack of compression, even though the Broadcast and Cruiser are two very different sounding pedals.

I'd say that it sounds best in a loud setting and plays very well in a band context where clarity, tightness and attack are often needed to get through a band mix. At louder settings it's the amp that provides an element of compression so having an uncompressed drive can only be a good thing! 

On the topic of tone controls, I've never missed not having a tone control on the pedal, I have plenty of those on my amp and guitars! I'm sure having a tone stack would have robbed the Cruiser of some of it's directness / transparency. 

In summary, I really like my Cruiser, it has a very different vibe & flavour to my more "ordinary" dirt pedals and sounds killer with my Tele! 

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    It would be going with my Gartone Bluesman tweed, so would probably suit it well.
  • I’ve got the cruiser deuce so can reiterate what majorscale has written. I don’t find the lack of a tone control an issue at all. I’d say get the deuce if you can find one/afford it. It’s certainly a very pleasing overdrive and just sounds great through the j ‘as is’.
  • I had one for a short while. Wish I'd kept it as it sounded great into my Cornell Romany Plus.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    edited February 2019
    SidNewton said:
    I had one for a short while. Wish I'd kept it as it sounded great into my Cornell Romany Plus.
    LOL... I wish you hadn’t said that... I’ve had 2 cruisers in the past, but now have a Romany Plus s

To answer OP’s original question.... I A/B’d against my Hudson Broadcast and the Broadcast won.... Hudson is bolder and more interesting, the clarity was better for me.... and that was into a Tweed Deluxe 
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    Now I wish you hadn't said that @tone1 - my Cruiser Deuce ended my search for an OD and that search included some wonderful ODs - Gunshot, Timmy, Okko Diablo, XTS Precision, Boss BD, Prince of Tone, Kingsley Squire, Barber LTD.  The Cruiser is the cliched sound in my head and until you mentioned the effing Broadcast I had no interest in looking any further.  Still don't think I'm going to look - the Cruiser is perfect.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    @ricky50 Have you still got my Skylark? I did love the Cruiser deuce but you gotta trya Broadcast If you get the chance  :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Lebarque said:
    Worked great with the J20, but no tone control was a deal breaker for me.
    This was my experience.  It's a great pedal, but had a fraction too much top end for my tastes, and no way to tame it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    @tone1 yes I sure do. Don’t want to hijack this thread so will drop you a message.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1559
    edited February 2019
    crunchman said: It's a great pedal, but had a fraction too much top end for my tastes, and no way to tame it.
    I do agree about the top end when played in isolation, but if needed I will slightly roll back my guitars tone knob. I have found that in a band situation that extra top end makes it sit in the mix much better as tweed amps can sound woofy/too bassy up loud...
  • Amp defo needs to be loud for this pedal to properly sing and to find the sweet spot IMO and also very amp dependant I feel.