Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Adrian Legg

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2609
edited February 2019 in Guitar tFB Trader

What an odd playing style... Cool though

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I love Adrian. Anu is one of my favourite pieces of acoustic music. I saw him support Satriani at Hammersmith back in the 90s and an entire venue of rockers was stunned into silence by his playing. Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw him support Satriani at Hammersmith back in the 90s and an entire venue of rockers was stunned into silence by his playing. 
    I saw him at the Birmingham NEC with the same reaction. It was just not what anyone was expecting. I bought his "Guitar for Mortals" album on the back of that gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14469
    AL has been doing that Scruggs pegs stuff for decades. Tommy Emmanuel does a simpler version of the same idea. Odds are, Chet Atkins did it long before both of them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited February 2019
    I love Adrian. Anu is one of my favourite pieces of acoustic music. I saw him support Satriani at Hammersmith back in the 90s and an entire venue of rockers was stunned into silence by his playing. Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book
    Satch loves him too. Always seems like a really nice chap and very very funny!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    AL has been doing that Scruggs pegs stuff for decades. Tommy Emmanuel does a simpler version of the same idea. Odds are, Chet Atkins did it long before both of them.

Yes this is the thing.. Ive seen other people do a similar thing but don't take it quite as far as Adrian does in the video..  Its a pretty cool technique and impressive playing in general.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24387
    That's awesome!
  • He wrote a guitar wiring book years ago I still have, all sorts of wiring solutions, anything you can think of is in there, all before the internet, very cool.
  • I remember him more as a regular contributor in the early days of guitarist, I think I had one of his books at one point. I'm sure I'm misquoting but IIRC Adrian started playing country music; he loved country music but one day on stage had the realisation that there were idiots in ten gallon hats at the front of the stage and decided to play something else instead.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    He used to do a regular column in one of the music mags.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    His daughter used to work for me a while ago.  Not that I ever met him.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book
    They're not regular tuning pegs. They're called Keith tuners and they're meant to be used on banjos. They have two preset positions you can switch between, sort of like those D-Tuner things for Floyd Rose trems.

Which is not to say he isn't a wizard...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well worth checking out his No Guitar is Safe podcast. Goes into detail about the tuners, growing his toenails and many other mind boggling techniques.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Well worth checking out his No Guitar is Safe podcast. Goes into detail about the tuners, growing his toenails and many other mind boggling techniques.
    Toenails? Seriously?
  • Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book
    They're not regular tuning pegs. They're called Keith tuners and they're meant to be used on banjos. They have two preset positions you can switch between, sort of like those D-Tuner things for Floyd Rose trems.

Which is not to say he isn't a wizard...
    The only example that comes to mind of someone doing it is Monkey in a Movie by Jim Campilongo. Bit different I guess but doin' it with a regula chooner. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11309
    I had his book on almost permanent loan from the library, it was written for the non-technical and was far excellent.

I was also at the Satch gig at Hammersmith, I was one of the few without binoculars.
  • mart said:
    Well worth checking out his No Guitar is Safe podcast. Goes into detail about the tuners, growing his toenails and many other mind boggling techniques.
    Toenails? Seriously?
    Yes. Check out the podcast. Fascinating. I have 2 hours or more commuting so podcasts and audiobooks are essential. NGiS is brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fantastic player! I saw him over 25 years ago in Aldershot of all places supporting the late Tal Farlow.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    superb