Les Paul fretboard inlays are lifting - help!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    rico said:
    If this was me I’d suck it up and take it to a reputable tech. Life’s too short. 
    Yeah, I know. But if they're going to just stamp it down with superglue I can do that myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Update - took the guitar into Dawsons today and they'll send it off to be fixed under the LT warranty. So far Dawsons have been very helpful! I'll keep you posted...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Philtre said:
    Update - took the guitar into Dawsons today and they'll send it off to be fixed under the LT warranty. So far Dawsons have been very helpful! I'll keep you posted...
    Best course of action in my opinion.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Dawsons or anyone else should be helpful !! Good that you`ve posted the details,as it can do nothing but good for dealers to see their responses to problems talked about on here or elsewhere. 
    edited March 2019
    matone said:
    Dawsons or anyone else should be helpful !! Good that you`ve posted the details,as it can do nothing but good for dealers to see their responses to problems talked about on here or elsewhere. 
    Indeed.

So far Dawsons at Chester have been very pro-active about this, even to the point of their manager ringing me up to arrange bringing the guitar in. Very helpful.

I did have to emphasise, though, that this is not an uncommon problem with Les Pauls and is covered by the LT warranty and if in doubt to Google the three words "Fingerboard Inlays Lifting"

What do we see? Les Paul, Les Paul, Les Paul, Les Paul...
    Still nothing on this. Last I heard from Dawsons was on 14th March where they said that it had been sent to Gibson, but they hadn't heard anything but would let me know when they do. This coming Monday it will be 4 weeks and no feedback. What do you guys think? Leave it longer? Nag Dawsons again?
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    I would have been on the phone a week ago asking for an update!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    Still nothing on this. Last I heard from Dawsons was on 14th March where they said that it had been sent to Gibson, but they hadn't heard anything but would let me know when they do. This coming Monday it will be 4 weeks and no feedback. What do you guys think? Leave it longer? Nag Dawsons again?
    I would certainly expect some news - I'm not totally sure of Gibson' s procedure as I don't sell new Gibson Guitars - But based on what I know and what I'm familiar with, via other suppliers, then my comments are - Dawson' s will have returned it to Gibson - Either UK or EU office - That doesn't take 4 weeks - Dawson's will have an RA (returns authority number) from Gibson, so they can easily acquire an update - Be it via e-mail or phone call  - Based on the delay I'd be calling - The repair work is relatively easy - Not sure what facilities Gibson have in the EU/UK, but suspect some in house workshop - It should not take 4 weeks - I'd be pushing for 2 weeks max and that includes transit to and fro - I see no reason why it needs to go back to the USA - the likes of Jon @FelineGuitars can easily handle such work 

I'd suggest a phone call to the Chester manager, or a phone call to Dawson's head office - I assume they have some customer service at HO - Find someone with authority and pursue accordingly

IMO you have been more than reasonable so far
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Seriously you sent this away? And are having to wait weeks  just for lifting FB inlays??..... Titebond costs £6 from amazon.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'd always have repairs done under warranty if they're eligible. The last thing I want is to find it was part of a larger issue, and that larger issue is no longer covered because I had my own work done on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    guitars4you said:

Not sure what facilities Gibson have in the EU/UK, but suspect some in house workshop 
    There is a small workshop at the "Gibson Showrooms" in Fitzrovia. 
    Thanks for advice guys, especially @guitars4you

I've just shot off another email to Dawsons in Chester...
    Seriously you sent this away? And are having to wait weeks  just for lifting FB inlays??..... Titebond costs £6 from amazon.

DeeTee said:
    I'd always have repairs done under warranty if they're eligible. The last thing I want is to find it was part of a larger issue, and that larger issue is no longer covered because I had my own work done on it.
    Indeed. There were 3 inlays lifting, and perhaps this was a sign of more. So I thought it best to get it sorted under lifetime warranty.
    Update!

I sent an email to Dawsons and they just phoned me. They got it back this morning. Apparently they checked it over and the inlays are flush.

I'll drive over to Chester on Monday and get it. :-)

Excellent news! Now, time for a New Old Guitar Day post.
    DeeTee said:
    Excellent news! Now, time for a New Old Guitar Day post.
    Indeed. Funny isn't it how even though I have several other nice guitars it's only the LP that I want to play...
    Always the case when it's not available, isn't it? I'm trying to sell my Godin at the moment. Guess what I keep picking up?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    Update!

I sent an email to Dawsons and they just phoned me. They got it back this morning. Apparently they checked it over and the inlays are flush.

I'll drive over to Chester on Monday and get it. :-)

Hope all is good
    edited April 2019
    I have her back!

I think they did a good job, too. Apparently she was sent to Gibson EU (not sure if that is in Belgium or Netherlands). The inlays are flush with the fingerboard! Yay!

I have a worksheet where they ticked these items on the checklist:

* Fingerboard - repair
    * Fingerboard - other
    * Clean and polish frets/fingerboard
    * Condition fingerboard
    * New strings
    * Check nut slot height
    * Adjust string height
    * Clean and polish finish

Thanks to the guys at Dawsons and Gibson EU!

Right then...Ask Me Anything...

Now, my SG (also bought from Dawsons) has the same problem on one of the inlays, not so bad though. Hmmm....