Sad NGD

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2610
in Guitar tFB Trader

As some of you may have seen in the tribute thread, I lost a very close friend of mine in December..  His name was David Novan and was only 43. He was a musician and lived and breathed music. As such he had a flat full of musical instruments as well as a tonne of CDs, Vinyl, and DVDs and all sorts of musical paraphernalia.

So this is why its sad.. His family invited myself and some of Davids other good friends over to his flat as they have to clear it out and didn't know what to do with it all and said they would rather his stuff goes to his friends than just give it all to charity.

At first I really didn't want to do it. I didn't want his stuff, it just seemed very weird to me. And it was, but at the same time while we were all there we  all shared stories of him and that part of it was quite nice. 

So I ended up with one of his main guitars.

This Ibanez.. From what I know its an SA360 EX..  Anyone know anything about them?  Its got a 5pc set neck and Duncan Designed pickups. I haven't had the heart to clean it up and get some new strings on yet.. But I will soon.

https://i.imgur.com/vpBnHmC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7TC5rIN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FL8pi9g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VcuYhiO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qLVHmyP.jpg

And this is David on stage with his own band (he was in three bands at once at one point)...

https://i.imgur.com/t2bR89K.jpg

So as I say very sad really..  But at the same time I realise that while it feels weird at the moment,  as time goes on I will appreciate having it and will play it in his memory...

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    Make some great music on that guitar, it'll be a fitting tribute to your lost chum. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    The Wilkinson-inspired FAT vibrato is a vast improvement on the P.O.S. supplied on some variants of that series. 

The usefulness of the DuncDes SC/SC/HB pickups will depend largely on whether the humbucker is a HB101, 102 or 103. (Loosely based on the ‘59, JB and Distortion, respectively.)

The business of distributing some of David’s belongings amongst his social circle is mainly for the emotional benefit of his immediate family.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader
    The Wilkinson-inspired FAT vibrato is a vast improvement on the P.O.S. supplied on some variants of that series. 

The usefulness of the DuncDes SC/SC/HB pickups will depend largely on whether the humbucker is a HB101, 102 or 103. (Loosely based on the ‘59, JB and Distortion, respectively.)

The business of distributing some of David’s belongings amongst his social circle is mainly for the emotional benefit of his immediate family.

Hmm, ok thanks.... I will have a look when I get to taking the strings off (which it really needs)..

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I like the SA series. Is it any good? Doesn't really matter, just play it like David would want you to.
    tFB Trader
    Jetfire said:
    I like the SA series. Is it any good? Doesn't really matter, just play it like David would want you to.

Yes I agree...  And I will  :)   I was just wondering about the guitar as I know very little about Ibanez... Just out of interest, nothing more.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

You are Sheldon and ICM £5 ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What guitar does Sheldon play, then?
    What guitar does Sheldon play, then?
    Strat.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, a reference from an American sit-com that began after I turned forty?  
  • Really sorry about your friend. I can't help with the guitar, but I can tell you that it will feel less weird with time and you'll be able to enjoy playing it, and smile as you think about David. Just be kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel what you need to feel, don't beat yourself up for how you feel
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    So, a reference from an American sit-com that began after I turned forty?  
    Yup.

;)
    On the subject of the Ibanez tho, I’d say that the emotional attachment of its background will, over time, far outweigh its merits good or bad as a standard guitar.

I do like the top on that one tho - very purty 
    tFB Trader
    Really sorry about your friend. I can't help with the guitar, but I can tell you that it will feel less weird with time and you'll be able to enjoy playing it, and smile as you think about David. Just be kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel what you need to feel, don't beat yourself up for how you feel

Cheers man.. I appreciate that.
    tFB Trader
    On the subject of the Ibanez tho, I’d say that the emotional attachment of its background will, over time, far outweigh its merits good or bad as a standard guitar.

As I was saying above.. It isn't about if its a good or bad one or anything. Just interested to see what it is and where it belongs in the Ibanez family. Im like that with all the guitars I own.. Just like to know a little about them..
    Rabs said:

As I was saying above.. It isn't about if its a good or bad one or anything. Just interested to see what it is and where it belongs in the Ibanez family. Im like that with all the guitars I own.. Just like to know a little about them..
    Yeah I think that’s absolutely fair enough.
  • Touching story.

If my reading of Ibanez serial numbers is correct, W92xxxx means it's from World Musical Instruments, Korea ('W'), from September ('9') 2002 ('2')

I have a 2008 Ibanez catalogue but by then, the only SAs in the range are the 260 or the S36, both of which are different specs to what you have (3 pc necks, different trem and pickups).

However, a quick search for a 2002 SA360 brought up this ..
    tFB Trader
    Touching story.

If my reading of Ibanez serial numbers is correct, W92xxxx means it's from World Musical Instruments, Korea ('W'), from September ('9') 2002 ('2')

I have a 2008 Ibanez catalogue but by then, the only SAs in the range are the 260 or the S36, both of which are different specs to what you have (3 pc necks, different trem and pickups).

However, a quick search for a 2002 SA360 brought up this ..

Thanks for that..  Its hard finding full specs... 

I got something else too which actually means more...  David had like 300 odd rock t-shirts a lot of them never even got worn.. He would buy one at almost every gig..  While we were going through them I found the t-shirt of the last gig we went to together less than a year ago.. :(

https://i.imgur.com/RYxAtr2.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sad situation, but that looks like a nice guitar.  Clean it, play it, remember your friend. 

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    edited February 2019

@Rabs

Don't think of it as weird, you have helped his family out, the thought of his stuff being passed onto his friends will be of great comfort, and your friend, wherever he is will be grateful for that.

Play the guitar, every time you pick it up you will remember him and all the time he is remembered he's never that far away. Yes you'll feel sad but that guitar is being used and by someone he was friends with, and what better way is there for it to end up?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom