Look at the nut on this!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It's back, new nut fitted. Big thanks to Paul at Courtney and Walker who complained that I didn't give him another week to touch up the new nut with violin polish (he wanted another week to apply a bit each day - he's very particular). 

I've overlaid the old nut on top so you can see the difference. It's a lot.

Guitar now plays much better, not just because the strings are evenly spaced but it holds a note forever. 

New nut on E10ss https://imgur.com/gallery/4jVPzJN
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    Good to hear it got sorted. Enjoy!    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad it's sorted out nicely.

Kudos to Peach for doing what they needed to do to ensure a happy customer.
    Glad it's sorted out nicely.

Kudos to Peach for doing what they needed to do to ensure a happy customer.
    Indeed. All sorted out, Peach were great.

Something nagging me about the nut still. It was so poorly cut, really quite crap. None of the strings were the correct distance apart. Makes me wonder how well the guitar was made... maybe it was just an off day for the nut guy / gal. 

Interesting that Paul the tech guy (who works on high end violins and cello's as well as guitars) was impressed with the guitar. 

There are a couple of uneven frets, but they don't affect the action or the playability. Generally they are good.

There are a few scratch marks on the edges of the fret board.

The Eastman 'handmade' thing alludes to the fact that these are top end instruments at an affordable price. I don't think that's really true, had this been a Gibson we'd all be tutting at the QC and rolling eyes. 

It's a very good guitar and probably value for money. More so than a Gibson or Martin? I wouldn't say so. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    I think "handmade" has two rather distinct meanings/implications.

One, as you say, is that it's a lovingly crafted guitar with attention to detail. The other is it might have a few quirks which make it individual and characterful :)
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    “Handmade”, “top-end” and “affordable”. Think you can only hope to have two of those words together unfortunately. They’ve always seemed a bit pricey to me. They do seem to get some nice looking wood though. But then how much would that have cost with a Martin logo? Can’t see Martin doing that to the nut but assume most Martins are more factory cnc than “handmade” unless you spend mega £££££
    brucegill said:
    “Handmade”, “top-end” and “affordable”. Think you can only hope to have two of those words together unfortunately. They’ve always seemed a bit pricey to me. They do seem to get some nice looking wood though. But then how much would that have cost with a Martin logo? Can’t see Martin doing that to the nut but assume most Martins are more factory cnc than “handmade” unless you spend mega £££££

I think a Gibson J45 comes in around £2.5k which is well over twice what I paid. The woods on the Eastman are very, very nice also.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    That’s a good point. That is crazy really when you think about it. Twice the price!? I would have thought your right in thinking the Nut guy/girl had an off day. Can’t see that being the same person that managed to put a whole guitar together that plays well, sounds good and looks great. And you might not get a perfect Gibson, even at twice the price. 

Hope tou you get to enjoy the guitar now it’s back mate. 
    brucegill said:
    That’s a good point. That is crazy really when you think about it. Twice the price!? I would have thought your right in thinking the Nut guy/girl had an off day. Can’t see that being the same person that managed to put a whole guitar together that plays well, sounds good and looks great. And you might not get a perfect Gibson, even at twice the price. 

Hope tou you get to enjoy the guitar now it’s back mate. 
    Thanks, I am enjoying it, lovely guitar and the J45 shape / scale is just perfect for me.

It's an odd one with the nut and finishing, there are definitely some corners cut. The guitar itself plays and sounds great and I love the way it looks. 

Comparing to the PRS Angelus I just bought its a better guitar to play, but the finish on the PRS is immaculate.