daft question about pedalboards and power supplies

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
My board is quite compact and has the usual high(ish) quality patch cables and so on but.......is it normal to hear interference, crackling and so on as one turns the jack plug around in a pedal input?

You know, the plug is secure but you rotate the plug around in the input pedal socket and all this noise can come on....
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Sometimes. Have you given it a squirt of contact cleaner?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    squirt?  the pedal inside jack socket assembly?
    tae be or not tae be
    Yep, in the hole. Just a quick spray, then ram the plug in and out a few times to clear any dirt. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I use shredder lube :)
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    viz said:
    Yep, in the hole. Just a quick spray, then ram the plug in and out a few times to clear any dirt. 
    OP, given your other thread, I would be careful about googling this advice.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    It’ll just be a bit of oxidation on the plug or socket, it used to happen more if you gigged in smoky pubs and then you’d get a nice film of nicotine too. :s Give’em both a squirt of contact cleaner, that’ll sort it. WD40 will do at a pinch, but CC works better.

It’s one of those things that you’re supposed to do every now and then, pull all the plugs on your pedal board and clean them, but hardly anyone bothers till there’s crackling noise or a drop in volume. 
    Is there a cc you all would recommend for the pedal inputs that could be used on amp and guitar knobs?
    tae be or not tae be
  • I use servisol 10, it's chuffing great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I use servisol 10, it's chuffing great.
    Yup Servisol is the stuff to use. 
    Thanks Boogie and the guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be