SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Gretsch 6120

What's Hot
Looking to buy a Gretsch 6120 with either filtertrons or dynasonics but needs to be in the classic orange. Anyone selling?? Looking to spend around £1350 and based in west midlands. Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 122
    Aren’t these around £2500-3000 new?
    Ive totally lost track of what they go for used, do they lose that much? I’m not sure but do you think the abundance of cheaper Electromatic Gretsch guitars is making the Japan made pro line guitars a s/h bargain? Hope you find one, cool guitars !
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8068
    The price offered is bang on for a good used 6120. 
  • I've seen one on here from a few months ago that went for £1200 and seen others advertised for around this figure give or take a £100 or so. Thanks TheMarlin as that is reassuring :) 
    I’ve bought one for under £1k in the past, bargains can be had. but £1300 is fair.  If you bide your time, you can pick up a Masterbuilt Gretsch for £2k

of the stock orange 6120’s, my favourite is by far the Reverend Horton Heat. 

Its a bit blingy with all westerm motifs, but it’s a damn fine Gretsch. Sounds ace!  I’d take one over a Setzer model any day. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A friend of mine has a RHH and I agree, gorgeous guitar, I also would love to get an Eddie Cochran model but may have to stretch the budget a little bit or that. 
    edited February 2019
    I’m also after an Eddie model, but holiday funds have come first. 

Plus big orange Gretsches are hard to sneak past the wife, they draw attention
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849
    TheMarlin said:

If you can manage a bright red glittery Duesenberg, you’ll manage the Big O when you find one ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve bought one for under £1k in the past, bargains can be had. but £1300 is fair.  If you bide your time, you can pick up a Masterbuilt Gretsch for £2k

of the stock orange 6120’s, my favourite is by far the Reverend Horton Heat. 

Its a bit blingy with all westerm motifs, but it’s a damn fine Gretsch. Sounds ace!  I’d take one over a Setzer model any day. 

I also have found the vintage select 59 to be quite inspiring. Haven’t played the RHH but Inthink they have the same bracing .. that might be the trick.
    I’ve not played a Vintage Select 59. I’m a bit out of date on the newer models since I got banned from Gretsch Talk. I pointed out that the word ‘Trump’ means ‘fart’ in the UK, and that resulted in a ban. Americans can be a bit touchy about their comedy leaders. 

The only issue with the RHH is that the large headstock resulted in bigger break angles at the nut, and if your nut is not properly sorted and lubed, this can cause tuning issues.  Easy to resolve though.  Just a minor consideration 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

dazzajl said:
    TheMarlin said:

If you can manage a bright red glittery Duesenberg, you’ll manage the Big O when you find one ;)
    You forgot the pink sparkle Jazzmaster!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849
    edited March 2019
    TheMarlin said:

dazzajl said:
    TheMarlin said:

If you can manage a bright red glittery Duesenberg, you’ll manage the Big O when you find one
    You forgot the pink sparkle Jazzmaster!
    Which is pretty embarrassing considering it was sat about three feet from me when I typed that  3
  • KoaKoa Frets: 122
    Maybe a bit too much from what’s been discussed but Kennys music seem to have a 2004 G6120 online at £1599 at the moment.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    You'll be lucky to find a good, post 2004 6120 for under £1500 these days. I'd avoid any made between 68 and 03

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Koa will have a look, Kt66 hopefully I can have some good luck :) 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I too got banned from Gretsch Talk, far too many rednecks there, and I corrected them.
    Think I am banned from Let's Talk Guild for the same reason 
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1744
    kt66 said:
    You'll be lucky to find a good, post 2004 6120 for under £1500 these days. I'd avoid any made between 68 and 03

So what’s wrong with the post 03 gretsch then? 
    Some of the 90’s and early 2000 Gretsches are fantastic guitars, just not quite as historically accurate as the post 2004 models. I personally don’t like the big headstock Jets from this era, but the hollow bodies are great guitars. 
  • zepromzzepromz Frets: 37
    Might be a bit over your cash budget but I'd consider a part exchange if that helped?
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152812/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17734
    tFB Trader
    I have a 6119 that would suit your budget
  • Cheers guys but I bought a 58 reissue country gent of a fellow fretboard user and it's amazing.