PRS SE Bernie Marsden LTD edition Andertons £549

What's Hot

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Just the normal sunburst. I'll put pics up when it comes =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    As shall I when my 245 arrives tomorrow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My SE 245 has just arrived from Peach. It's gorgeous.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    God damn, dude. That's absolutely gorgeous.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Jees, that looks like a £1600 guitar. Gibson need to step up their lower line and FAST. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jees, that looks like a £1600 guitar. Gibson need to step up their lower line and FAST. 
    Interested why you feel that.

I've got a couple of PRS SEs and they are good quality but I can't see what you can see from those photos that make it seem better than other guitars in its price range?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited March 2019
    ^looks great, nice guitar

Wish I liked the necks on the SE 245, just a bitb too wide and fat for me. The Bernie neck felt more manageable which I might have been imagining. They're great guitars, the 2 I played were so lively, big and resonant. Made a lot of LPs I've tried sound completely dead.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    thegummy said:

I've got a couple of PRS SEs and they are good quality but I can't see what you can see from those photos that make it seem better than other guitars in its price range?
    I imagine that what @Musicman20 ; meant is that you can spot gibson's sloppy QC from a mile, whilst this 245 from a production line somewhere in Asia looks like a perfectly executed instrument with no build flaws.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    KrisGee said:
    thegummy said:

I imagine that what @Musicman20 ; meant is that you can spot gibson's sloppy QC from a mile, whilst this 245 from a production line somewhere in Asia looks like a perfectly executed instrument with no build flaws.
    Exactly. From the photos it looks really well finished. Very slick. 
    Right now it's sat on the next stand to my 2009 Les Paul Traditional which cost £1700 brand new. Okay, those of us in the know can you the difference in cost between the pickups and a solid maple cap is better than a maple cap with a veneer on (it's important to pay for mm of wood you can't see!!!). Yet i think most folks looking at the pair would thing they were very much of a kind. This SE 245 reminds me very much of the LP Studio 60s Deluxe I foolishly sold last year, strikingly similar in fact.

Right now it's sat on the next stand to my 2009 Les Paul Traditional which cost £1700 brand new. Okay, those of us in the know can you the difference in cost between the pickups and a solid maple cap is better than a maple cap with a veneer on (it's important to pay for mm of wood you can't see!!!). Yet i think most folks looking at the pair would thing they were very much of a kind. This SE 245 reminds me very much of the LP Studio 60s Deluxe I foolishly sold last year, strikingly similar in fact.
    I agree with that but I'd extend it to most guitars in that price range; I.e. Gibson having poor quality at high price is the unusual thing. I think most people wouldn't know if an Epiphone was different to a Gibson side by side.
    Mine arrived not long after you posted yours. I've been playing with it for the last two hours or so, and it's finish & playability are totally up there with the other mid-priced guitars I've had over the years. Thankfully, it doesn't encroach too much on the 611 & the RG, so it slots nicely into my little group. I suck at taking pictures compared to Grumpyrocker, but hey, let's turn this into a budget R8 thread =)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's lovely. Happy NGD.

You too!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    Happy NGD to you both! They really are quality instruments, my Bernie certainly feels equal to my Gibson LP and not far behind my recently acquired core PRS. Certainly much better than my old Epi LP.
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    Happy NGD to you both! They really are quality instruments, my Bernie certainly feels equal to my Gibson LP and not far behind my recently acquired core PRS. Certainly much better than my old Epi LP.
    When I compare the two, the PRS SE does seem higher quality due to it being glossy and having no flaws. The Gibson, though, seems more "hand made" or less like a modern machine made guitar. I think it's largely due to the particular model I have not having a glossy finish so not sure this would still ring true for a Gibson that had a glossy finish etc.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Well - my Bernie went to a good new home yesterday after a classic TfB 'meet a bloke in station deal'. This thread has stirred some seller remorse, it has to be said, but at the end of the day it was up against a £3k guitar in the Feline and as good as the SE was, it's not in that league.

I still have a PRS CU22 which is on long-term loan to  me from a relative and I've been playing it A LOT. At first I was blown away by the feel and sound, but bit by bit I'm cooling on it. I hope this isn't just me just succumbing to the hater bias but I'm increasingly of the opinion that it somehow lacks character: the neck especially is just so 'normal' - perfectly comfy, of course, but neither thick nor thin, U nor C. It's maybe a bit bland.

The trem is a joy and the pickups are lovely, though. Still when I pick up theFeline, it seems to stick its chest out and shout character.

I'm sure some of this is in my head but I'm trying to be as objective as possible. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    edited March 2019
    I just picked up @McToot's Bernie and its a lovely guitar for the money. Not on a par with the 2017 LP traditional that I owned @1k tho. I'd say the plastic birds really do look cheap imho and the only disappointing thing on it. The rest of the guitar is awesome tho - its perfectly finished, light and rings like a bell - and this seems identical in that respect. HNGD!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    Glad @McToot's Bernie has found a good home, looks like a cracking guitar! @Fifty9, how are you finding the Oil City pickups? I'm very tempted to pick up some OCPs given their popularity on this forum.
    Tim
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    edited March 2019
    Not been able to plug it in yet and wont for a few weeks. Everything I've read/heard leads me to believe they'll be top drawer. @McToot is the man to ask about that.