Amp Quandry

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
in Amps tFB Trader
As long term members may recall I quit my band about 3 years ago and since then I've largely given up guitar. I have three kids and a job with 1+ hour commute each way so I don't really have time to play even when I have the inclination.

I sold most of my pedals and both of my amps, kept my guitars and slimmed down to just a Katana 100 with a GA-FC as a one box solution.
It's quite fun when I occasionally piddle about with it, but I never feel totally inspired with it. I'm never sure if it's me or the amp though.
I'll save everyone from having to do the "The Katana honeymoon period has worn off" bit by saying that it does sound great and is by far the best inexpensive modeller I've ever used. It's more about the fact that I've always felt at home with single channel clean valve amps with a small pedalboard.

The other day on a whim I stuck a couple of pedals into the front of the clean channel and instantly felt a lot more inspired. I've actually bought a couple more pedals and I'm quite looking forward to trying them out. 

One part of my brain is now saying "you should get rid of the Katana" because what's the point of having a multi FX modelling amp when you just end up sticking pedals in the front when you really like single channel valve amps. On the other hand it takes pedals really well into the clean channel, the reverb and delay are actually really good and I can't have anything really big, loud, or expensive anyway as I don't have much space or cash (if I did a Rift PR18 would be the obvious answer)
Maybe a Blues Cube might be an idea, but I'm not sure if it would be a much of an upgrade.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    My son has the same amp and uses pedals into it on clean.

He has played some impressive gigs (originals) with it and has not made any suggestions about changing it.

I'd stick with it and add pedals if it were me.

Cheers
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    I think some of it is because I've just bought a @ThorpyFX ; Veteran and I've realised I feel a bit weird about playing a PRS DGT through a Thorpy into a Boss amp.

I should probably just get over myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I have a THR5 and a Princeton plus pedals, I am majority home player only, if I could only keep one amp I'd keep the valve amp with even just an overdrive over the modelling option. The THR is multi skilled but simply does not sound as good as a valve amp.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    If you have an amp with a hundred sounds, one sound is the perfect sound for you and the other 99 are terrible, then it's still the right amp for you because of that one sound. The 'perfect sound' can also be size and cost-dependent, and it's allowed to use other gear to make it sound perfect.

So keep the Katana. Just because you're not using 'its full potential' either in features or volume, or that it needs pedals to make it sound really inspiring, doesn't mean it isn't the best solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Pedals into clean amp is a great option. I suspect that you and I have similar taste with respect to "sounds" that inspire you to play.
    If the Katana delivers these with pedals, great - why change?
    If not, look at something like the Blues Cube Artist which has a lovely clean channel that also takes pedals well and is also reasonably controllable with respect to output volume. This is what I use at home.

If you are going to resume playing live then i think that a clean valve combo delivers. I use the HRD George Benson model for this purpose - again with pedals for drive tones.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9733
    Agree about using real pedals into a Katana. Despite Boss’s extravagant claims the built-in effects really do not sound as good (and aren’t as adjustable on the fly) as sticking real actual pedals between the guitar and the amp.

Must admit it annoys me a bit that I’d have to hook it up to a computer if I did want to unlock all it's capabilities. However, as @icbm has already pointed out, if it does what I want then all’s good.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    If it sounds good and it now inspires you to play, I don't see the problem.
    It's not like having an amp that you actively dislike.
    tFB Trader
    I had a blast with The Veteran last night and I was amazed how great it sounded through the Katana.

I'm sure through a Rift or MJW it would be on another level but it was still impressive.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    If not spending £2k on a Rift etc. I’d look at maybe a Roland Jazz Chorus, the TPS guys we’re getting some good sounds with pedals in front recently, or the new Blues Junior iteration, which is a big step up from previous efforts imo.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    The grass is always greener on the other side. Unless you want to play out, stick with what you already have or buy used stuff and sell on when you grow tired of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Prob need a Dumble. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    If not spending £2k on a Rift etc. I’d look at maybe a Roland Jazz Chorus, the TPS guys we’re getting some good sounds with pedals in front recently, or the new Blues Junior iteration, which is a big step up from previous efforts imo.

Good call on the JC 40 also the Bass breaker 15 is supposed to be decent
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

HRD mkIV IS REALLY GREAT TOO
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    ThorpyFX said:
    dindude said:

HRD mkIV IS REALLY GREAT TOO
    Indeed and pretty insain value at £599 they are going for in various places
    tFB Trader
    I'm starting to think everyone pisses about with different amps then eventually just buys an HRD.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    I'm starting to think everyone pisses about with different amps then eventually just buys an HRD.
    I just gigged mine tonight, first time since December, its a great amp.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4132
    I play with w Marshall dsl40 a delay  a delay and a reverb. Love it.   You'll be happy surely with rig 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    I just downloaded a HRD patch to my Katana. Job done! :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    Haha this is true for me! I have other amps I like more for other reasons, but the HRD IV has become my perfect gigging amp. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    There is a reason they are the most successful valve amp ever made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom