Amp Quandry

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I can't contribute to the HRD discussion, but I'm personally very happy with my Katana.

Regarding your original question: it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you'll spend a lot of money chasing 'the sound', only to realise that you were just as well off with the Katana...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    What are peoples opinions of the Peavey Classic 30?

They have a SH one in my local shop and I thought it might be an interesting home amp.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    edited March 2019

They have a SH one in my local shop and I thought it might be an interesting home amp.
    I’ve not owned one, but played through one. Sounded good but noisey. Then it blew up (or something expensive went wrong with it anyway) so the owner spent a lot getting it fixed. From what I’ve heard, there are common issues and they are a pig to work on....@icbm will know more.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    The worst Peavey amp, with the possible exception of some of the new Valve Kings.

Rattles, overheats, eats valves and occasionally transformers... and yes, a total pig to work on if it's anything that needs getting at the inside of the ridiculous folded three-side PCB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    That's a shame I'm only really familiar with the Classic 50 which I really like.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Increasingly, I'm going direct with a BOSS GT-1000 these days, depending on the venue and the state of my back. However, when space and assistance with load in/out permits, I'll still take my stupidly large pedalboard and a loud clean amp which is a very small, but powerful solid state DV Mark head. When you're going into a pedal platform, I'm really not sold on the whole SS v valve debate. At pub volume, they sound very similar and really, any valve amp over 20W, you'll never be able to get a valve amp cooking without an attenuator anyway. So, personally, I'd stick with the Katana, if you have a clean sound you like and invest in your pedals.

If you're looking at valves again, how about the Egnater Tweaker 15 as an outside bet? They're a single channel amp but with an insanely flexible EQ section. If I recall, there were a bunch of toggles with vintage/modern, us/ac/british/, hot/clean, normal/bright and tight/deep options and any combination thereof, as well as normal gain, bass, mid, treble. I bloody loved my Egnater but the 2x12 combo got too heavy for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    That's a shame I'm only really familiar with the Classic 50 which I really like.
    It's a completely different amp - far better engineered, and reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein