FFGD - JM Content

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540

Finally Finished Guitar Day - meet the money-pit   the time sucker  my new JM.

You know those guitars - started off as good intentions to grab a bargain in last year's Black Friday sale, in this case an American Professional JazzMaster in FSR Silverburst with Ebony fingerboard. Nice base guitar and cracking value, but it was heavier than the moon and I wasn't over-keen on the Silverburst. So in-comes a Warmoth body (and pickguard) in Sherwood Green, and very nice too, as well as taking a lb off the weight.

Hmmm, needs shimming though, so a proper StewMac full length shim is in order, oh and the body needs screening as a bit noisy

But then I had problems with the trem, the srew in arm got stuck in the threads, so incomes a Staytrem arm. That's better but I just couldn't get the trem to sit right and it was clunking no matter what I did, either the spring is knackered or the knife-edge is not right - seriously considered cutting my losses here and parting out, but it's a great playing and sounding guitar, the neck loved the body (key part for partscasters I think), and I really liked the neck profile and fret job.

Bollocks - all in now so a Mastery trem was ordered and while at it some Schaller locking machine heads as I don't like the standard Fender staggered height ones.

So here it is finally complete - it's taken 3 months of arsing about and it's definitely no longer a bargain, and the only original parts are the neck and electronics, but it's a very high spec modern JM (not for the traditionalist), that's feels properly sorted and sounds superb.

https://i.imgur.com/ptwv81n.jpg

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3279
    Looks awesome.

It’s a nightmare when you have to invest so much time and money to get a guitar where you know it should be, hopefully it’s been worth it though and will prove a keeper. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Love the colour. Noce
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    Nice. Aside from the neck I had a Japan one identical in looks some years back. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27270
    That’s brilliant. What you need now is a proper rosewood-fretboarded-neck and a set of Mojo pickups, then you can put the old bits back together and sell them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    That’s brilliant. What you need now is a proper rosewood-fretboarded-neck and a set of Mojo pickups, then you can put the old bits back together and sell them
    Ha ha, I’ve sold the bits already to get some cash back - love love the ebony board on this and the non-standard JM pickups sound fantastic once you get over that they don’t sound exactly like vintage JM ones.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    Nice one Dan. Looks great and can't wait to see, play and hear it!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Kebabkid said:
    Yes indeed, this completes the four-some: Strat/Alt T/GS1/JM - no more arsing about from here, honest!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    dindude said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Yes indeed, this completes the four-some: Strat/Alt T/GS1/JM - no more arsing about from here, honest!
    Nice collection and significantly different, too. It's a good position to be in.