N(old)GD - '79 Strat

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
I know 70's Strats get a hard time and for good reason at times I'd imagine, but it's coming up to my 40th birthday this year and fancied a year of birth guitar. Didn't want to spend Les Paul money on one (which Norlin wise also come in for the same bashing!) so settled on a Strat.

Started looking around and found out what a minefield late 70's Strats are! - The S9 S/N covers a 4 year window for a start, which means unless someones taken it apart (or is prepared to) you don't really know what you're looking at. Lucky for me, @Treewig1 decided he would sell me his '79 which he'd already taken apart before.

We did the same today too, all the pickups are dated 79, as are the pots and the neck stamp :) - This one also has a great neck pocket, plays fantastic, it's not a light weight, but not all that heavy for one of these either. Pickups sound great and it plays fantastic.

Some pictures of the guitar before I get back to playing it :D 

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited March 2019
    Looks great - my first Fender was an S9 numbered sunburst Strat (though Sienna sunburst with a maple neck) - so I have a great affection for guitars of that period. Glad you’ve got sorted and that you’re pleased with it. And yes - in spite of their bad rep - they can sound fantastic....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Looks stunning! Sunbursts always look so much cooler with a black pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23084
    I know '70s Strats have a terrible reputation and many (most?) of them are absolute stinkers, but it doesn't change the fact that they look fucking tremendous.

Glad you got a good one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    That grain is super cool. Love a hardtail Strat. Can I ask how much you paid? I've been watching one of these for a while but fear it may be a little overpriced.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Beautiful mate. The black pickup covers and pickguard looks lovely.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2533
    Nice one Dave. Got to love a hardtail!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2942
    tFB Trader
    Looks lovely, HNGD!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    As a six year old recently said to his teacher on valentine's Day "I'd plough you like a fucking field"

I approve!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5180
    I love the dark fretboard.... Cool as :)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    A wow from me.   Looks awesome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Very nice. By ‘79 the good ones had become very rare, but there’s no doubt they do exist... this looks like one!

It has a head start in being a hardtail - no tone-sapping soft alloy bridge, which I think is worse than the saddles.

Nice body grain and a really dark fingerboard too... it really shows the pearl dots up well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    Schweet! 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    Thanks chaps! Very happy with the guitar, sounds and plays great.

There are a few battle scars and some wear not pictured, but for a near 40 year old guitar I think it's in great shape :) 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    PVO_Dave said:
    Thanks chaps! Very happy with the guitar, sounds and plays great.

There are a few battle scars and some wear not pictured, but for a near 40 year old guitar I think it's in great shape :) 
    To be fair it looks much much better than I did at 40..
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10340

Love that. 

Congrats. 
    Laugh, love, live, learn.