Flying Ryanair with a guitar

What's Hot
JotaJota Frets: 465
Seems like I'll have a few gigs over at France (I'm in Portugal) and I'll have to take my tele.
Guy who pays for the flight (artist I'm working for) wants to go Ryanair.
I'd love to take it in a gigbag with me but it seems like that will cost an extra seat and fee. The other option is a hard case and ship it as luggage. My only hard case is an old 80's Fender that is huge!
What would be the best choice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7811
    I've taken a bass on Ryanair twice a few years back. Unbolt the neck, add some padding around it in the gigback then place it on the body, fold over the long part of the gigback and you have a fairly small guitar backpack.
    Put the screwdriver in your check in luggage. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited March 2019
    Whatever you do don’t ship it as luggage. The last time a friend did that on Ryanair it came out the other end with a 2cm diameter hole the entire way through the case, and the guitar

it it was in a Taylor hardcase
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    terada said:
    Whatever you do don’t ship it as luggage. The last time a friend did that on Ryanair it came out the other end with a 2cm diameter hole the entire way through the case, and the guitar

That's what I'm afraid of... but I don't really feel like taking it apart also...
  • Is it a fender ? If so, neck off and stick it in a hard shell suitcase in the checked baggage .
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27274
    Is it a fender ? If so, neck off and stick it in a hard shell suitcase in the checked baggage .
    This. 

More get your guy who wants to save money by using Ryanair to pay for an extra seat, or a proper flight case.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have tour managed US jazz bands in Europe with a variety of instruments. Even with bigger airlines it is a lottery but with Ryanair it is just random, often it seems to inflict the biggest pain. You might have nor problem on the way out only to be told you cant take it as hand luggage in the way back and will need a hard case to put it in the hold. You may well be told something at check in and then something completely different at the actual gate or even the aircraft. Easy-jet can also be like this. Spare seat is always the best option and even then I have had problems. Make sure your spare seat is a window seat as for safety you can't have it obstructing somebody's escape route. Also make sure it is not in a row where there is an emergency exit. Otherwise, invest in the best road case for the hold you can find (and risk delayed luggage!) or buy a cheap travel guitar or source one at the destination.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Jota said:
    terada said:

That's what I'm afraid of... but I don't really feel like taking it apart also...
    Better to pop the neck for the sake of 4 screws than come back here after the trip is over bemoaning Ryanair for damaging your tele. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31690
    Buy a Squier Affinity when you get there and throw it into the crowd at the end of the gig. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’ve had no problems with taking guitars on Ryanair. I used to use a hiscox standard which didn’t really fit my Ibanez SC but never had any damage 
  • If it's a tele you have to put it in a case to stop it damaging the other cargo.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's Ryanair, won't an extra seat only be like £8 or something?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    It turns out I'm flying with Transavia.
    On their website they say I can carry an instrument with me without extra fees up until 117cm.
    Should I risk trying to board with my tele in a bag?