Andertons a bit behind on Fender HRD IV?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
edited March 2019 in Amps
The new HRD IV sounds interesting, with its lighter pine cabinet, smoother reverb, new Celestion A speaker etc.  So out of idle curiosity I was looking at prices, and Anderton are selling it at £779. Then I saw Bax at £685, and Merchant City Music and DV247 both selling it for £599.

That's one heck of a price difference. Andertons will likely price match but just a bit surprised they seem a bit behind the curve on this one?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Maybe Chappers thigh brushed past it as he walked out the door and thus did the asking price increase. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    Hmmm. They've come down a bit. I think I paid over £800 when I got mine nearly a year ago. Still I've had a good few gigs out of it. A great amp.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Well, being a good Samaritan ( :) ) I've sent them a price-match heads-up (just for their info, making it clear I'm not looking to buy at the moment), so if you see it come down to £599 in the next week or so, you'll know why.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited March 2019
    Hmmm. They've come down a bit. I think I paid over £800 when I got mine nearly a year ago. Still I've had a good few gigs out of it. A great amp.
    Yes, I think it was £799 with Andertons only 2 days ago!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    edited March 2019
    I bought mine in October from my local small shop where it had a ticket of £849 on it, which is RRP I believe. 

He price matched to the big chains (without me having to ask) down to £770 and I traded a load of gear I hadn't used for years, so I ended up paying £245 cash. 

He will obviously be up on the deal eventually and I would've done better by selling lots of old tat privately over many months, but it still feels like a bargain to me. 

It's a hell of an amp for £599 though, and makes Blues Junior prices (£569!!!) seem even sillier than usual. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    I'm old enough that I have started to fancy a Fender amp of some kind. My dual rectifier days are now long gone. I did try a hot rod years ago when I was looking for a new amp and liked it quite a bit. Even the drive channel that everyone seems to hate.

Maybe it's time to have another go...
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    I'm old enough that I have started to fancy a Fender amp of some kind.

Maybe it's time to have another go...
    Don't need to be old mate, i've been enjoying them since i was old enough to afford one 3 decades ago !
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I frickin' love my HRD III. Sometimes I prefer it to my Deluxe Reverb 65...
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
    Well it is traditional for retailers to want to make some kind of profit on sales! If you are after a HRD then I would take advantage right now at £599 as I suspect that is selling at a loss.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    says £729 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    kt66 said:
    says £729 
    Well that was quick!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    p90fool said:
    ... makes Blues Junior prices (£569!!!) seem even sillier than usual. 
    To be fair the blues junior was overpriced when it was £450. Nearly £600 quid for it now? Unbelievable.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10247
    edited March 2019
    uksaint7 said:
    Well it is traditional for retailers to want to make some kind of profit on sales! If you are after a HRD then I would take advantage right now at £599 as I suspect that is selling at a loss.
    I very much doubt that. ;)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22693-fender-hot-rod-deville-michael-landau-2x12-review

Are these close to what model Michael Landau uses? The Hot Rod Deville.

Or are these completely different beasts?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    Speaking of HRD's...

Every single time I've heard one or played through one, it's been buzzy, and REALLY harsh. I've heard ones with Fender, Eminence and Celestion speakers and there just seems to be sooooo much nasty stuff in the 1-2kHz that belts out of these amps. 

Now I don't know if it's just me that thinks they are nasty, because aren't they the best selling amp of all time or something daft?? 

I have nothing to say about the clean channel as such as it just sounded like a clean channel to me. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited March 2019
    Nerine said:
    Speaking of HRD's...

Every single time I've heard one or played through one, it's been buzzy, and REALLY harsh. I've heard ones with Fender, Eminence and Celestion speakers and there just seems to be sooooo much nasty stuff in the 1-2kHz that belts out of these amps. 

Now I don't know if it's just me that thinks they are nasty, because aren't they the best selling amp of all time or something daft?? 

I have nothing to say about the clean channel as such as it just sounded like a clean channel to me. 

It's the clean channel I like compared to clean channels on other set ups I've used. Plus how well it works with pedals.

The HRD OD channel is not for me. I even prefer the OD sounds from my Blues Cube Artist (solid state amp). But the HRD wins on the clean sound.

It's not a competition.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Nerine said:
    Speaking of HRD's...

I never really liked mine. The clean sounded like a generic plain clean channel and the drive was muddy yet thin and harsh. It was almost passable being boosted with a tubescreamer but I didn't keep it for long. It really put me off Fenders.
    edited March 2019
    TTBZ said:
    Nerine said:
    Speaking of HRD's...

I never really liked mine. The clean sounded like a generic plain clean channel and the drive was muddy yet thin and harsh. It was almost passable being boosted with a tubescreamer but I didn't keep it for long. It really put me off Fenders.

I've played through HRD's quite a few times and that's very much my thoughts on them - I certainly wasn't overly keen on their overdrive channel. What they do quite well though is taking pedals through the clean channel and I think this is their main appeal.  They also kick out a fair bit of volume with good headroom and the decent size cabinet gives the 12" speaker a bit more air which means it doesn't sound overly boxy.  

It's quite a 'capable' amp to be sure, and I've not played through the latest MkIV version, but I've never really 'got' why it's such big seller and so popular - personally I found it to be a very 'bland/non-descript' type of amp with no real 'character' (but perhaps that's its appeal for use with pedals). Personally I much prefer my Laney VC30 which has a way better sparkly clean and its EL84 British crunch, whilst not earth shattering, is still quite reasonable sounding and suits me better.