Dark sounding guitar vs bright/thin sounding guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    crunchman said:

The difference between a PRS Custom and Standard is not down to the pickups.  If it was, you would hear the same difference between 2 different Customs, and you don't.  They each have their own character.  I've heard enough of them to know it's not a one off.
    And that’s only the body being different, not even the neck. With my two it was audible even at gig volume through an overdriven amp as well, and even on a recording - the Standard was bigger and deeper-sounding, the Custom brighter and more focused. Same guitars other than the body wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Orville sounds quite dark, and I'm convinced it's a core part of my tone. Every other guitar I play regardless of what it is ... it *sounds* like what I expect a strat to sound like - bright and brash.

Nice, but not "my sound" as it were.

Bye!

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    edited March 2019
    I used to be in the “wood makes no difference” camp for a long time believing it was all down to hardware and pickups etc. 40-50 guitars later, including 20ish Les Pauls which were all the same build and mostly the same pickups, it’s so obvious the wood makes a huge difference. It makes me chuckle when people tell me the wood makes no difference now. But the difference is in the subtleties of the tone. All Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls and all Telecasters sound like Telecasters. So many dismiss the differences as negligible. But when you run a guitar through a really good amp, especially one on the edge of breakup, the differences become GREATLY magnified. For example guitars with even just slightly more mids than other similar types cause the mids in your tone to break up more so you end up with different overdrive tones from that particular guitar. Likewise with bass and treble. However, if you play in your bedroom through a dead clean amp at lower than talking volume the differences are definitely negligible and imperceptible to many. Also it tends to be more obvious to those who have been playing longer and have a better ear for it.

Thats the best I can summarise it as anyway from my personal experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    hyperben said:
    Also it tends to be more obvious to those who have been playing longer and have a better ear for it.
    Could you be more condescending please? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    edited March 2019
    carlos said:
    hyperben said:
    Also it tends to be more obvious to those who have been playing longer and have a better ear for it.
    Could you be more condescending please? 
    Lol. As I said, in my experience this is true