Wiring quality in fx pedals

jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 312
Slightly weird question I know, but do longer wire runs and less ‘neat’ wiring in an fx pedal (specifically a Klon clone) contribute to noise?
Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I would say 100mm (random  guess amount ) of additional cable in a pedal isn't going to have a noticeable effect.

The quality of the solder & joints will probably have more of an impact.

If the cabling is crammed in and the build generally looks like a toddler has done it, the soldering probably isn't up to much. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    jdbwales said:
    Slightly weird question I know, but do longer wire runs and less ‘neat’ wiring in an fx pedal (specifically a Klon clone) contribute to noise?
    Not normally, because as long as it's all inside the metal casing and the casing is grounded, there is a complete shield around everything.

It's not very good practice though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 312
    Thank you both - it’s nothing ridiculous in this particular pedal, I was just wondering idly if it made much difference to upgrade! Thanks.
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Not going to make a huge difference in a pedal. Maybe if they have crossed and audio line with a power but still it's rare. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Stu_tate said:

Maybe if they have crossed and audio line with a power but still it's rare. 
    Only if the power was AC. DC power cables don't cause noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    If you want examples of super-neat wiring,  check out Monsterpiece pedals
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    And if you want to see elegant wiring check out Arc Effects.  Well, original ones anyway, when he was one man in a garage, he made a point of the wiring.