Line 6 M9

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
Is it now old, obsolete tech or still up there with the best of 'em?

I'm thinking about the modulation and time based effects in particular.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2460
    Still an awesome unit used by many pro's. If you can't spring for the HX Effects and M9 will do you just fine. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2019
    NelsonP said:
    Is it now old, obsolete tech or still up there with the best of 'em?

I'm thinking about the modulation and time based effects in particular.
    There's a way to sort this out.

Plug in your gear, turn your amp and FX on and play. Does it sound good? If the answer is yes then spend your money on hookers and beer like a rock God. If not begin an expensive search for nirvana.

From what I can tell most of the M9 effects are in the Helix. The unit is still current in terms of tone.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 758
    The brief week or so I had a new HX Effects, the ‘legacy’ delays and mods definitely got a good workout - I know they’ll likely benefit from the Helix’s DSP power but the fact they held up has meant I’ve since ordered an M9 again after having had (and stupidly sold) one many years ago. 

I’ll let you know how I get on...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5161
    I've got the M5 rather than the M9, but there's pretty much nothing out there with the capabilities it has that doesn't cost silly money. 

Having one M5 by itself would probably be a little limited, but I'm using two with an ES-5 with MIDI control.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

The only thing that made me sell my m9 (both times) and is stopping me get another one for home, is that it doesn't do 4cm!

M13 does, but its such a beast of a unit!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    OK, so I'm thinking about the best way to add more effects to my Amplifire. The ones in there are fine for the basics, but the reverbs and delays could do with a little help from a friend.

I'm chewing through various options. The one I like best at the moment is the Amplfiire + HX stomp board on the bottom left.
    Pretty much the same footprint as a Helix, but with Atomic amp modelling and a ton of versatility.

But an M9 would make for a much more cost effective solution.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited March 2019
    Conventional wisdom is it's a very high level multi-fx but that the drive sounds are a bit lacking. 

I agree with that and have upgraded to an HX Effects (still got the M9)

The HX has resulted in used prices for M9s taking a real hit, so if you're in the minority who likes the dirt sounds or if you are happy to get your drive sounds elsewhere they look like stonking value for money - a professional quality multi-fx for the price of many single pedals.

Just wish I'd had the presence of mind to sell mine before the dip in resale....
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Hmm. Having a bit of a rethink. I like the small form factor of the Amplifire and all of the solutions above spoil that.

Now I'm thinking about putting a few pedals onto a Pedaltrain Nano + and just putting it in the loop of my amplfire.

How on earth do you decide on this stuff!??!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    NelsonP said:
    Hmm. Having a bit of a rethink. I like the small form factor of the Amplifire and all of the solutions above spoil that.

Now I'm thinking about putting a few pedals onto a Pedaltrain Nano + and just putting it in the loop of my amplfire.

How on earth do you decide on this stuff!??!

decide? never

you try each one individually at great expense. Then when you find your best option you look for the next problem to solve.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom