What vocal mic do you use live?

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4145
Just wondering what vocal mic your singers use at pub gigs? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    I like the beta 57 but when I hire out my rig I offer beta58’s and senn 845.   I have a few SM58s just in case it’s a shouty metal band but I prefer the beta for most singers.   
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    SM58 can't go wrong. 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3058
    I run a PA and have SM58s and Sennheiser e945.

There are better mics for some situations, but the '58 is a classic for a reason.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8797
    Sennheiser e845s. I switched from cardioid to hypercardioid to reduce spill from the drums and my guitar. Our singer used to use an SM58, but switched to a fancy ‘50s shaped thing “because it looks better”.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Everywhere I play has SM58s. I've no objection to them, but when I've got room, I take an Audix i5, which may be a guitar/snare mic, but happens to suit my voice.

Having said that, I've recently got the 'fancy '50s shaped thing' bug, as they do look better (maybe I've been watching too much Twin Peaks?). So I'm tempted by a Shure 55SH, but have no idea what one sounds like. Anyone ever used one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33870
    Beta 58 usually.
    Has supercardioid pattern, is 4db hotter but lower handling noise, harder grille and has more top and bottom end compared to the regular 58.
    If the singer is a screamer then I stick a regular 58 in front of them, otherwise they tend to distort.
  • Behringer xm8500. Sounds pretty much the same as an sm58 (Just a tad warmer in the mids) and is only around £15.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    SM58 - proven and solid 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27423
    Not gigging atm but in the past I've generally always used 58 or beta 58. I did use a Beyer M88TG once, which was fabulous - that'll be the first mic I'll go to next time I need one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Shure 55, Super 55 and for very special occasions 5575. I own a silly number of these mics. 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1061
    edited March 2019
    The 55SH sounds a lot like an SM57. The Super 55 more like a beta 58. This is due to the capsules used. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    Everywhere I play has SM58s. I've no objection to them, but when I've got room, I take an Audix i5, which may be a guitar/snare mic, but happens to suit my voice.

Having said that, I've recently got the 'fancy '50s shaped thing' bug, as they do look better (maybe I've been watching too much Twin Peaks?). So I'm tempted by a Shure 55SH, but have no idea what one sounds like. Anyone ever used one?
    The standard 55 with black foam and a switch has an SM58 capsule,  the deluxe version with blue foam and no switch has a beta 58.    They sound very close to the regular sm and beta 58. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3694
    Sennheiser e845.  I have a Shure SM58, or at least I think that I have - it seems to have disappeared a few weeks ago.  I also have a Rode M2 capacitor stage mic but it's not much use on a noisy stage with the drummer and backline directly behind you.  Great for when I played in a duo where we used backing tracks and IEMs.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Sennheiser e835.  Seems to suit my voice better than the ubiquitous SM58. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    Beta 58
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31760
    SM58 on our male singer, the two girls sound better with AKG D5s.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4734

Rode M3.  Far more detailed than a 58.

58's suit singers that project well but if you have a lower register and less projection I find something that adds a bit of presence and detail far better.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33870

Rode M3.  Far more detailed than a 58.

58's suit singers that project well but if you have a lower register and less projection I find something that adds a bit of presence and detail far better.
    A condenser at a live gig is usually feedback city.
    Have you not had issues with this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I use an AT6100. Primarily because it’s the nicest sounding dynamic mic I’ve ever heard, it’s hypercardiod, plus I’m a total Audio Technica fanboy.
    I keep an Audix OM5 in my gigbag too for its unrivalled feedback resistance and there’s a 58 in our PA bag as a spare.

Our singer uses a Line6 wireless, within which he uses the 58 model I think.
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 414
    Beta 58