What vocal mic do you use live?

What's Hot

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 661
    AKG D5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7611
    simonk said:
    I use an AT6100. Primarily because it’s the nicest sounding dynamic mic I’ve ever heard, it’s hypercardiod, plus I’m a total Audio Technica fanboy.
    I keep an Audix OM5 in my gigbag too for its unrivalled feedback resistance and there’s a 58 in our PA bag as a spare.

Our singer uses a Line6 wireless, within which he uses the 58 model I think.
    I used a 6100 for a long time. Oddly though when I had to use a 58 at a shared gig I preferred it (well, in my monitor anyway) so now I have a Beta58 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Beta 57a, excellent size, great feedback rejection and ideal pickup pattern for mostly close  on voice work. It seems to shine in the majority of PAs I've stuck it in from 1x12" + piezo up to 3 and 4 way big rigs. If you have a delicate or nuanced voice than maybe a vocal condenser, but the good ones are multiple times the cost of the venerable Beta57a.

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2060
    I own a Shure KSM9 although I don't use it personally as every time I sing I am sure a puppy dies somewhere. When recording or playing live though our singer loves it and the results are great.
  • Behringer xm8500. Sounds pretty much the same as an sm58 (Just a tad warmer in the mids) and is only around £15.
    yes, i use a SM58 but also have a behringer xm8500 and its as good as the sm58 imho 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4145
    Thanks all.  V interesting.  Mostly sm58 beta.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I use a D5 or a 58-style T-Bone.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10489
    Senn E945 is good for me and my fave mic for getting less drum spill in the mic. The good ol 58 is overpriced for what it is and the grills dent too easy. When I  was running a rehearsal studio we swapped out our 58’s  for Behringer XM8500’s which were fine and only about £20 ish
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Has anybody tried the Sontronics SOLO? Made in the UK, great reviews, reasonably priced. I'm looking for any real-life feedback (no pun intended). For male vocals in a live stage environment. Rock music.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Sennheiser e845
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24530
    Thomann’s T-Bone SM58 clone.  I can’t tell the difference between it and the singer’s genuine 58 beta.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'm very interested in this thread, it seems the SM58 is the go to mic. Will it cope with someone with a loud powerful voice or is there something more suited to that kind of vocals?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Another Sennheiser 845 here - supercardoid - much better than SM58 at reducing feedback.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I got swayed by the many "sennheiser is better" opinions back in the day - tried one - preferred the Shure and AT ones  I was used to 
    Red ones are better. 
    zepp76 said:
    I'm very interested in this thread, it seems the SM58 is the go to mic. Will it cope with someone with a loud powerful voice or is there something more suited to that kind of vocals?
    good grief yes it will - as will any dynamic stage mic. They get used to close-mic 100w guitar cabs so... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    SM58 is fine with noisy bastards, more tricky with quiet singers
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24704
    TC Helicon MP-75

Tried it when I spotted it was on offer and I really like it.

If it broke I'd buy another.
    TimmyO said:
    zepp76 said:
    good grief yes it will - as will any dynamic stage mic. They get used to close-mic 100w guitar cabs so... 
    sorry if this is a daft question but is there a difference between stage Mic's and Mic's used for recording vocals? I'm new to all this and am slowly learning the ins and outs.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8793
    Stage mics are normally designed to avoid picking up sound from sources other than the vocalist. Their pickup area is cardio or hypercardiod shaped. Their EQ tends to be more focused, being less sensitive to high and low frequencies. They should also be physically strong so that they aren’t damaged by being dropped on the floor.

With a recording mic, particularly one used in a vocal booth or when recording vocals only, you’re more concerned about sound quality. So generally wider, flatter EQ. Different pickup area, cardio and hypercardiod require lips close to the mic which affects the EQ.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    Stage mics are normally designed to avoid picking up sound from sources other than the vocalist. Their pickup area is cardio or hypercardiod shaped. Their EQ tends to be more focused, being less sensitive to high and low frequencies. They should also be physically strong so that they aren’t damaged by being dropped on the floor.

With a recording mic, particularly one used in a vocal booth or when recording vocals only, you’re more concerned about sound quality. So generally wider, flatter EQ. Different pickup area, cardio and hypercardiod require lips close to the mic which affects the EQ.
    @Roland Thank you that's very helpful, it's a bit of a mine field searching for the right Mic's.