Mark Agnesi leaving Norms

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Moominpapa said:
    Nothing against the guy personally but every time I see him playing a $100,000 guitar with that damn jacket zip rubbing against the back of the body I'm thinking 'take the fucking jacket off!'
    Absolutely with you on this!

I have to say I never hear one of his demos of an expensive vintage guitar and think ‘that sounds great’ - but he’s really likeable. I’ll miss GOTD.

I hope he does well wherever he’s going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
    Awesome, now let’s watch more videos of visitors of the store playing the guitars. These are real fun.

If I want to hear a guitar demo, I visit:

- Wildwood guitars (Greg Koch)
    - Nstuff music (Mark Lucas and the new guy)
    - Peach guitars 

I was never impressed of Agnesi’s playing. Usually talks too much and yes, I guess most of the Norms guitars are scratched by his famous jacket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    antonyiv said:
    Awesome, now let’s watch more videos of visitors of the store playing the guitars. These are real fun.

If I want to hear a guitar demo, I visit:

- Wildwood guitars (Greg Koch)
    - Nstuff music (Mark Lucas and the new guy)
    - Peach guitars 

I was never impressed of Agnesi’s playing. Usually talks too much and yes, I guess most of the Norms guitars are scratched by his famous jacket.
    Better technically yes but I prefer hearing recognisable songs
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    bbill335 said:
    JD50 said:
    Youtube comments point toward a job at Gibson...
    He’s got the right taste in clothes. That ugly leather he always wears... yuck. Everyone at Gibson always dresses like a middle aged dad at an open mic. 

I like his leather jacket and I'm 42!
    Nothing against the guy personally but every time I see him playing a $100,000 guitar with that damn jacket zip rubbing against the back of the body I'm thinking 'take the fucking jacket off!'
    ... and swap it for a decent biker/millitary type jacket. Less of this designer “if it's expensive then it's good, and i look good in it” stupidity. Some guitar players have taste, can you believe it!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    He’s been hired by Gibson. ‘Director of Brand Experience’.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
  • miserneil said:
    A what? 

Bullshit indeed baffles brains. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Fair play to him and I hope he does well. Very smart move by JC.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    miserneil said:
    A what? 

The role makes perfect sense to me. Gibson clearly want to shake off the spectre and reputation of Henry's tenure and reposition themselves as ‘cool’ and capitalise on their iconic past. I'm guessing that Mark will be charged with creating that cool touch and expanding and developing links to social media and digital platforms as well as helping shape future product development. I think the dealers and retailers experience with Gibson will need an overhaul too based on commenst I've read over the years. 

I really hope he is successful, and there is a job there for him but my fear would be, as with any newly created role, quick success will be expected and he has to deliver, if he doesn't then the US 2 weeks notice hire and fire could kick in and he could be out on his ear.

I would love to see some guitar of the day type videos from within the Gibson factory and Custom Shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Clearly he has the skill set. :)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I was talking to Gibson’s UK sales manager at the Guitar show and he was saying there’s a new wave of excitement spreading through Gibson which has come from the new CEO (who is a guitar collector and Gibson fan himself) so this appointment seems like a really good move. I think having some younger, tech savvy people on board can only be a good thing, I can’t wait to see what happens! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    miserneil said:
    I was talking to Gibson’s UK sales manager at the Guitar show and he was saying there’s a new wave of excitement spreading through Gibson which has come from the new CEO (who is a guitar collector and Gibson fan himself) so this appointment seems like a really good move. I think having some younger, tech savvy people on board can only be a good thing, I can’t wait to see what happens! 
    I agree. 

I like Mark; he isn't overly flashy and he likes his rock n roll. 

I've just realised that he is actually younger than me by a year and has a class job and a what seems like a very cool family. Lucky man. Fair play to him. 

Note to self: Don't waste precious years and money on legal education to only get in the job and realise you are trapped.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    ...So does this mean we will  get some bang on LPJr's & double cuts?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    What about the guy who does the demos of the cheaper guitars for NRG? Lemmomo or something like that? Just released an album too.
  • miserneil said:
    A what? 

The role makes perfect sense to me. Gibson clearly want to shake off the spectre and reputation of Henry's tenure and reposition themselves as ‘cool’ and capitalise on their iconic past. I'm guessing that Mark will be charged with creating that cool touch and expanding and developing links to social media and digital platforms as well as helping shape future product development. I think the dealers and retailers experience with Gibson will need an overhaul too based on commenst I've read over the years. 

I really hope he is successful, and there is a job there for him but my fear would be, as with any newly created role, quick success will be expected and he has to deliver, if he doesn't then the US 2 weeks notice hire and fire could kick in and he could be out on his ear.

I would love to see some guitar of the day type videos from within the Gibson factory and Custom Shop.
    Yeah, the move makes perfect sense to me too.

Current Gibson paper holders pinched it for a song under chapter bankruptcy, shed the shite, add value to the core business, move it on. It's the existential nature of the job those boys do.

Fuck all the collateral damage along the way...the futures bright and painted orange teaburst.

Nasty company. Fuck em. I wouldn't buy a string of them. 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited March 2019
    Well...Rob Chapman was at Norm's earlier this year doing "business"...Yes, folks, Norm's new series is... "GOTD with Chappers and Friends!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5167
    My money is on Mark Agnesi being back at Norm’s within 6 months  B)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Salary aside, it will be a more fun job working at Norm's than at Gibson...it might seem glamourous but corporate reality will be quite the opposite. There were no expectations at Norm's, no pressure, no targets, no stupid hours...its a great shop with a good fun atmoshphere and Norm is a lovely guy. He may well return one day. Can't blame him though for going to see what the grass is like...

• NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    Strat54 said:
    Salary aside, it will be a more fun job working at Norm's than at Gibson...it might seem glamourous but corporate reality will be quite the opposite. There were no expectations at Norm's, no pressure, no targets, no stupid hours...its a great shop with a good fun atmoshphere and Norm is a lovely guy. He may well return one day. Can't blame him though for going to see what the grass is like...

The money and career path is obviously why he chose Gibson.

I'm sure he is looking to the future and it probably wasn't as a glorified shop assistant.
  • Thoroughly enjoyed Mark & GOTD - he seems like a guy who's pretty chilled out & his encyclopaedic knowledge of songs & riffs is pretty impressive too!
    Wishing him all the best with his move to Gibson - I'm sure that he'll be successful in whatever he chooses to undertake in the music industry.