Klon clones....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    edited March 2019
    I've A/B lots of Klones, even once against the 'real' thing. And I know some wiser than me say that the circuits are all the same... but I haven't found that.

This week I compared the RYRA vs a Tumnus Mini; Id have preferred to have the Tumnus as it would some board space. But, the difference between the 2 was quite noticeable. The Wampler added more bass and a touch more fizz.

The RYRA is just perfect to my ears. It seems to add a little 'something' to the sound, even just above unity. 

So, it is the RYRA that stays...

@StuartMac290 kindly sold me his gold one, and its a belter...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've A/B lots of Klones, even once against the 'real' thing. And I know some wiser than me say that the circuits are all the same... but I haven't found that.

This week I compared the RYRA vs a Tumnus Mini; Id have preferred to have the Tumnus as it would some board space. But, the difference between the 2 was quite noticeable. The Wampler added more bass and a touch more fizz.

The RYRA is just perfect to my ears. It seems to add a little 'something' to the sound, even just above unity. 

So, it is the RYRA that stays...

@StuartMac290 kindly sold me his gold one, and its a belter...

@Wazmeister the tumnus and ryra are slightly different electrically.  The ryra is a straight up klone like the centura which use poly caps throughout with no multi layered ceramics for the smaller values like most klones do.  Whether anyone could hear the difference between poly and mlcc caps of the same value at this voltage is debatable. The tumnus is the same circuit but uses some different cap values which have increased the bass. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I think the fact the RYRA looks a lot nicer than the Tumnus might have something to do with it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Seen as we're taking pictures of sexy pedals...

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    Will it be used for live or home use?  I didnt like the ryra when I had it for home use at all.  Defo a live use pedal imo
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited March 2019
    just ran my Mosky Golden Horse into my TS into the Bassman setting on my Fender Supersonic 60 with a Tele and got the best effortless tone I have ever illicted from it! (the amp I mean).
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    tae be or not tae be
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    Th4fonz said:
    Will it be used for live or home use?  I didnt like the ryra when I had it for home use at all.  Defo a live use pedal imo
    had it sounding great at home as a boost/tone enhancer
    Dr Scientist the cleanness  does exactly the same job imo   I had one for a while alongside the RYRA couldn't tell them apart when used as a boost
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I had my pedals out the other day - Amp Eleven>Timmy>TS9 and it sounded awesome!  It made me wonder if I actually need a Klon type pedal at all? Should i just be happy with what I've got? 

Where's the fun in not wanting more pedals though, lol!
  • agibbo said:
    Should i just be happy with what I've got? 
    Don't be so stupid.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    agibbo said:
    I had my pedals out the other day - Amp Eleven>Timmy>TS9 and it sounded awesome!  It made me wonder if I actually need a Klon type pedal at all? Should i just be happy with what I've got? 

sounds like a great line up as is....you could spend thousands on the old pedal roundabout and like many arrive back somewhere similar to the above...I just have:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    mgaw said:
    agibbo said:

sounds like a great line up as is....you could spend thousands on the old pedal roundabout and like many arrive back somewhere similar to the above...I just have:)
    You're probably right. I like my current set up, and like you say it's almost a pedal roundabout to end up where I started. As I found out recently having sold my old Ibanez AD9 to "upgrade" to an MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe.  There was nothing wrong with the AD9, it suited me tonally and I only need a basic delay. In hindsight I wish I'd kept it. When will we ever learn, lol!
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I was very impressed with the mythos mjolnir.  That would be my choice.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've had a JRAD Archer for ages, the switch failed after a few years and JRAD sent a new one out FOC even though it was well out of warranty.

About 2yrs ago I bought the Ikon version which is now my main one used as a volume boost with slight gain increase on my board.
    I bought a Soul Food and mojo just wasn't there in my setup with it.

Love to A/B them with a RYRA though.