SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

CHEAP: MIJ TOKAI ES 120 (2004) 335 TYPE

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16214
edited March 2019 in Guitars £

TOKAI ES 120 (2004)..... 335 TYPE

M.I.J top end  Tokai (was top of the range at the time)

Rare vintage white (perfectly yellowed)

Bigsby

Slightly thinner 59 style neck .Original Tokai pickups - the bridge has  fantastic bite

The neck pickup is very woody which I like, but may be too dark for some tastes (good, mellow jazz tones)

Bigsby is properly set up with softer spring for smoother easy action AND tuning stabiliser bar which works superbly to keep it in tune

Beautifully  set up by FELINE - plays very, very well

NOW THE UGLY:

Had a typical headstock break that was initially poorly repaired -I thought it worthy of a more expensive and very thorough repair so I then took it to FELINE who then did an amazing job.  They routed / drilled and installed two carbon fibre rods and set them bonded in epoxy resin.  Practically it's stronger and sturdier than any wood ever was, but I haven't got round to fine sanding and nitro re-spay of the neck and headstock.  It makes no difference to playability, but looks ugly 'til it's sorted although it doesn't affect the playability.  The truss rod cover got lost in the process. 

Generally, there are a few very minor buckle rash grazes but otherwise great condition.

GATOR hard case included.

Normal going rate would be £775 - £850 so I think £495 ono is very fair for a workmanlike guitar

£495 ono

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16214

Sorry - forgot - here is a detailed photo of the repair.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5302
    the ultimate relic...what more do you need looks great if I needed as guitar for gigging and not worrying to much about, and just happened to be excellent, this would be mine 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Perfect for that I guess although I think it's worth spending £100 to mint it up and it's a great guitar ;IMO if you can get over the headstock issue it's as good as any 335 out there ,Nashville etc etc......and a whole lot  better than most 
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 507
    attractive thing! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Me or the Guitar ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Why do I look at this and WANT it?
    Loads of people do.........I've had at least 6 serious buyers but they all want to trade / swap or throw in a few expensive pedals .I don't use pedals now that I have a Helix HX and the last thing I need is another guitar .
    If anybody has an attractive wife/ girlfriend then perhaps we could come to an arrangement .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 121
    Hi dom. Sold yet ?

Dominic said:
    Loads of people do.........I've had at least 6 serious buyers but they all want to trade / swap or throw in a few expensive pedals .I don't use pedals now that I have a Helix HX and the last thing I need is another guitar .
    If anybody has an attractive wife/ girlfriend then perhaps we could come to an arrangement .
    My wife is looking for a non guitar trader, maybe we could do a deal?
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    Very nice indeed 

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
    horsehead said:
    Dominic said:
    My wife is looking for a non guitar trader, maybe we could do a deal?
    Maybe ; send a few pics please.......does she have a decent set of pickups? SKINNY OR FAT NECK ?
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    Hiya. Would you post by and chance?
    Dominic said:
    Maybe ; send a few pics please.......does she have a decent set of pickups? SKINNY OR FAT NECK ?
    Fat neck, good line of pickups, angry sounding when pushed