Conundrum: keep my VHT Ultra Lead or buy a Mesa JP2C?

What's Hot
spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
Per the above...I love the Ultra Lead.  It's the most brutal, surgical amp I've ever played but also does everything else wonderfully (including really nice, glassy cleans).  But I love the additional grease of a Mark series Mesa - my Mk V:25 is my most-played amp at the mo.

Which leads me to the JP2C.  I've got my eye on one, and have tentatively put my VHT up for sale with a view to pulling the trigger.  Anyone played the JP2C or both?  Would love to hear your views.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is the perfect thread for a meme....

If I had the scratch, I'd be buying that VHT.

I don't know much about the JP2C, but I'm not much of a Mesa guy. What I would say is, it's extremely hard to find good VHT/Fryette amps in the UK and EU now. And nothing else quite sounds like them.

Bye!

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    All very true! Argh!!
    Decision made: it’s an incredible amp and I’m keeping it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed, Mesa has never quite done it for me either, and it's surely harder to find the Fryette here. Still loving the Herbert by the way mate, it's a beast. Cheers!
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    I sold my Ultra Lead a few years ago, and have regretted it ever since. Keep it, it's killer!
  • Ultra Lead is very tight. JP2C is much more forgiving and easy to play. JP2C has better cleans imo. 
    I've decided to keep it. I have the Mark V: 25 for my Mesa needs!  

I really like the cleans on the Fryette but agree that they don't quite have the depth of the Mark series.  It's all about the gain channels, though.
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    Best decision I ever made was selling a dual rec to buy a vht 100cl years ago...  Worst decision I ever made was swapping a vht 100cl to buy a dual rec years ago!! *Facepalm!!

To be fair it's not the worst decision I made gear wise as the list of regret is long on some gear I sold through my time, but amp wise the vht slayed the Mesa but I went on tour with a band that used Mesa amps at the time and stupidly swapped it for a dual rec rackmount.. another stupid swap was a Budda sd30 for a Mesa electradyne. Don't get me wrong the electradyne was probably the best Mesa I've owned or played but it was not as raw or massive sounding to me as the Budda 
  • Jp2c is a beast of an amp it was the best boogie ive ever had & (recto’s, mark v, RA100) killer tone & features, its really agressive & tight it doesnt imo do the whole Marshall, classic rock or low gain sounds though but the high gain tones are brutal & very unique to the amp the typical Mark / boogie sound but its more edgey & aggresive & the lead channel is very fluid liquid gain style