1976 Gibson Les Paul ‘Restoration”

What's Hot
Evening all,

I picked up an old birth year project in a couple of weeks back so thought I’d share some progress.

The 76 LP had seen a number of refinishes by the time I got hold of it, it started life as a Deluxe and had been converted to humbuckers (a standard mod in the 70s apparently) it came to me with two Dimarzio Super Distortions double cream.

The  fretboard was nice and dark and has a great grain but had 40 years of shite built up. The frets are lowish fat and flat. I’ve cleaned up the fret board with some 1200 wet and dry and then 000 steel wool, followed by lemon oil. I’ve also recut the nut as the strings were seated too deep for my liking. I’ll probably have it up to @FelineGuitars to have them dressed and a good set up.

Body has been stripped of the old finishes and the back and sides have been pore filled and finished in Manchester Guitar Tech tobacco nitro. The neck is maple and had a coat of black nitro, Ive gone over this and blended with tobacco. Unfortunately the serial number was lost in one of the previous refins.

I’ve finished nearly a dozen guitars now and this is the first burst I’ve done, I was going for a 70s tobacco honey burst. I used a layer of Steve’s @SteveRobinson light amber, followed by a burst in medium brown and finally a touch of tobacco. Scraped all the bindings and gave it a few coats of clear.

The pickguard is the original 70s Deluxe and was cut pretty poorly for humbuckers, I’ve cleaned up the cut outs a little. 

Awaiting the components to TS to rig up the new wiring harness and will update when I do.

pics on the way...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments