Regular tuning changes causing strings to break

2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31613
    ICBM said:
    It will be interesting to see how successful the Elixirs are. I'm pretty sure I've had more breakages with them when slackening strings than any other make.
    Yep, see my post above. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I use a lot of different open tunings and generally I have no problems tuning up and down but for a live set, I'd be very reluctant to tune the high strings up, always preferring to tune down. 

How well your nut and bridge is cut will contribute as well.  I myself use a lead pencil to line the slots of the nut as well. 

In terms of how I would approach the set list would be as follows

1st - B F# B E B E
    2nd - 
    B F# B E B D
    3rd - 
    B F# B E G# C#
    4th - 
    B F# B D# A# D#

I myself find the 4th/G to be the string most prone to breaking, so that is why I left that one for last. 
  • I use a lot of different open tunings and generally I have no problems tuning up and down but for a live set, I'd be very reluctant to tune the high strings up, always preferring to tune down. 

How well your nut and bridge is cut will contribute as well.  I myself use a lead pencil to line the slots of the nut as well. 

In terms of how I would approach the set list would be as follows

1st - B F# B E B E
    2nd - B F# B E B D
    3rd - B F# B E G# C#
    4th - B F# B D# A# D#

I myself find the 4th/G to be the string most prone to breaking, so that is why I left that one for last. 
    The actual set won't be an issue as I will have 3 guitars on me that day, its just the rehearsing as I only have 1. The highest pitch will be B and E which on the thinnest 2 strings will be the same as standard so they won't go any higher.

As far as the order goes yes that's my plan, 2 songs are in the 1st tuning so they go back-to-back. The one with 3 strings to be tuned will go last obviously, and will be on a different guitar.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    I went through a period where my B string would break consistently at the tuning peg after only a few retunes (usually to open D and back to standard). I had been stringing my guitar using the "locking" method which I think introduces a potential weakness in the string at the peg. Since changing to the simple "poke through the hole and start winding" method (and cutting the string before winding) I have found that my strings no longer break, even after many tunings.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    Incidentally, I don't think I've ever tuned my bass strings that low. Are you using a special gauge or are they just a bit floppy?
  • I'm just using 11-52's which just about hold up in drop b variation tunings. Don't forget it goes between that and standard tuning too.