Best Online Skype Teachers

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited March 2019 in Guitar
Lots of named guitarists now offer Skype lessons but are all of them good teachers?

I'm actually interested in advancing my Jazz playing and Blues/Rock Playing. 

So teachers i'm interested are

Martin Miller
Jamie Humphries
Rick Graham

Greg Koch
Aerial Posen
Josh Smith

Tim Lerch
Mike Outram
The guy from Jazz Guitar Scrapbook (youtube)

All these guys are good players but are they good teachers? Any experience? or recommendations?

A good teacher to me is to know that the student wants to learn and for the teacher to set goals, steer the pupil in the right direction and to be able to explain things clearly. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    edited March 2019
    In my experience, you can be a lot better off going for an educator who is very familiar with the artists you like rather than the artists themselves...they don’t always know what they’re doing or how.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424
    Dunno how good he is as an instructor but you can have a private lesson with Jon Herington every month for $50 which is pretty amazing. 

https://truefire.com/channels/infinite-ear-iq/h2402
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    Check out what teaching they do in the real world - likely at music colleges or Conservatoires. Masterclasses are one thing, but ideally you want someone who has a track record of teaching regular students away from Skype. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    I’d love to know what a 1-2-1 lesson with Greg Koch would be like. I wonder if he’s “on” the whole time and what he’s like if he’s not?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    Greg Howe if he’s available is just awesome. He’s so expressive and communicative and knowledgeable. Jamie Humphries is also good. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Greg Howe if he’s available is just awesome. He’s so expressive and communicative and knowledgeable. Jamie Humphries is also good. 

mmm never thought of greg Howe. I guess you have had lessons with him before? What sort of stuff did you learn from him

• $200 for one ! hour lesson though! ouch
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7171
    Lewy said:
    I’d love to know what a 1-2-1 lesson with Greg Koch would be like. I wonder if he’s “on” the whole time and what he’s like if he’s not?
    My wife bought me one last year for my birthday. It was 100 US and I loved every minute. He was very engaging and fun but I didn’t learn much, tbh I was enjoying chatting to him so much that I didn’t really get across what I wanted to get out of it. Every time he played something I just broke into a big grin and asked him to play it again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if he's still doing it but saw a while back Eric Gales offers lessons via Skype. Really nice bloke and a phenomenal player. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    viz said:

mmm never thought of greg Howe. I guess you have had lessons with him before? What sort of stuff did you learn from him

Jazz fusion basically - styles, technique, appreciation, that sort of thing
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Besides being a nice guy and excellent musician, Martin Miller teaches guitar at conservatory level at a renowned music school. I've attended a workshop of his, he's a good teacher.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Mickeyji said:
    Besides being a nice guy and excellent musician, Martin Miller teaches guitar at conservatory level at a renowned music school. I've attended a workshop of his, he's a good teacher.
    No personal experience but, as a player Martin fits the bill. He also has been an active educator both on stuff like Jam Central and through Skype lessons. I've watched some of his training content and some of his Skype recordings on YT and if I was going down the Skype route I'd certainly throw a few quid that way.

Si