What cables are you using?

What's Hot
I’m thinking of investing in some decent cables for my rig.

hoping for some insight in to what’s hot and not. Or whether it’s a waste of money to spend big on them.

ive simplified my rig somewhat recently from a 4 cable fx loop and invested in fewer but better pedals just going front end. 

Ive ordered some Mogami patch cables to give them a try for my pedal board but looking to get a decent lead as the fender tweed wrapped things I’m using have started to fail (yes they have a life time warranty and i should swap them). 

Also, I’ve been conscious of buffers and stuff and have been experimenting with taking my boss tu3 tuner off the front of the chain and starting from a Tumnus deluxe which has a buffer switch. And i am noticing a bit of difference. 
ive been told that a good coiled cable (like a bullet) keeps a good bit of signal more than a standard one would and a coiled cable is a buffer in itself of sorts. Is this true? 

Re the pedalboad, ive tried solderless route but didn’t have any joy with my cumbersome hands. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    edited March 2019
    Have decent plugs put on the Fender cables - Neutrik NP2C (straight) or NP2X (right angle). The cables are great, but the factory fitted plugs are junk.

No, a coiled cable is *not* a buffer! The exact opposite - it’s a tone sucker. The only difference between them is how badly...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Have decent plugs put on the Fender cables - Neutrik NP2C (straight) or NP2X (right angle). The cables are great, but the factory fitted plugs are junk.

No, a coiled cable is *not* a buffer! The exact opposite - it’s a tone sucker. The only difference between them is how badly...
    I’ll shoot that messenger then. Perhaps why you don’t see many coiled cables on stages I guess! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    theflyisback said:

I’ll shoot that messenger then. Perhaps why you don’t see many coiled cables on stages I guess! 
    Some people (like Brian May) do like the unique sound they have, but it's very definitely not the same as a good quality straight cable. The main reason is that they're actually about three times as long, and long cables take off more top-end than short ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've always used Van Damme cables with Neutrik plugs (just the normal ones, not the silent ones) and I've never had a problem with them.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050

hoping for some insight in to what’s hot and not. Or whether it’s a waste of money to spend big on them.

I make decent cables. See my thread here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137972/good-quality-custom-made-cables-leads.

I use Van Damme PRO Grade XKE or Sommer SC-Classique (tweed, cloth-covered) cable, with Neutrik plugs - straight or angled, regular or SilentPlug.

I can also put decent plugs on your Fender cables.

PM me with your requirements.

R.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I made some up using Sommer LLX cable and Amphenol T series straight jacks - basically trying to use quality parts and keep the capacitance as low as possible to preserve highs in the signal. They do work great anyhow, and I've had no reliability issues at all.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442
    Evidence for longer ones - bought super cheap on Amazon, tracked on Camelcamelcamel until they were about 70% off. Probably couldn’t justify them otherwise but they are great. 

My pedal interconnects are Sommers I think. 
  • Been using the Mogami gold cables for almost a decade with no problems whatsoever. Crystal clear tone and no hum/buzz.

Yes they cost a bit more than your average brand but totally worth it and there's also a lifetime guarantee. Just don't lend them out to anyone!
  • I’m thinking of investing in some decent cables for my rig.

I make decent cables. See my thread here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137972/good-quality-custom-made-cables-leads.

I use Van Damme PRO Grade XKE or Sommer SC-Classique (tweed, cloth-covered) cable, with Neutrik plugs - straight or angled, regular or SilentPlug.

R.
    Update...

Just bought some custom cables off this guy to try out and I’m blown away actually.  van damme with neutrik plugs.

Compared to the fender cables I’ve been using the sound is chalk and cheese.  Crystal clear signal and the whole range of tone is there. 

I cant recommend Robin highly enough. Absolutely brilliant service and price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 909
    I use Whirlwind cables. One i've had for 20+ years and it's still going strong!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    Evidence instrument cables (makes a huge diff, IMO) and Pete Cornish patch leads.

Evidence is expensive, but awesome.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I bought a Klotz Titanium, but it doesn’t sound any different to my Fender custom shop cable which was 1/3 the price.

for patch cables, I really like the white Ernie Ball ones. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    Neutrik and Sommer XXL here. The Sommer cable is lasting really well in heavy use. Much better than Van Damme ever did.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    Van Damme with Neutrik

They’ve a really good cable configurator on their website. Bought mine direct. They’re awesome cables. Probably the best sounding I’ve had. That includes all my pricey Lava Cable stuff too. 

Google VDC Trading 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414

R.
    Update...

Just bought some custom cables off this guy to try out and I’m blown away actually.  van damme with neutrik plugs.

Compared to the fender cables I’ve been using the sound is chalk and cheese.  Crystal clear signal and the whole range of tone is there. 

I cant recommend Robin highly enough. Absolutely brilliant service and price.

I would second that. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    We're using Boss braided cables at the moment.
    They seem very well made and sound great.